Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data backup on Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

I am going to help a friend with her Win 8.1 laptop. I do not yet use Win 8; Win 7 fulfils my current needs.

Specifically she wants to backup her data to an external device. The amount of data is under 20Gb and likely to remain around that value, so a 32Gb thumbdrive, she already has should suffice.

However if she sets up "File History" will she need to keep the thumbdrive plugged in all the time, even if she sets the backup period longer than an hour? Is it possible to setup "File History" to prompt for the backup device when it is needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

No.  She doesn't have to keep the thumbdrive plugged in all the time.  When you are setting File History you need to specify the size of the offline cache that will be use to store history when the drive is not connected.  Here are some articles to read that will help you learn about File History:

#3 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Agouti

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users