Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 slow startup - black desktop, no services

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toka

toka

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

I was away for the weekend and returned to find that my desktop took about 5 minutes to load to the login screen.  Once I was able to enter my start up login information, windows loaded with a black desktop and only the recycling bin icon.  As well as a message in the system tray about being unable to log in to windows services.  The hard disk light was constantly lit and flashing throughout the whole process.  There had been no problems before I left, as far as I know.

The computer is an HP desktop, OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit.

I was able to start the task manager and the only processes running were:

explorer.exe

winlogon.exe

ctfmon.exe

csrss.exe

I could not open any folders or programs, I could not run a search for any programs such as msconfig or command prompt.  If I tried to open My Computer or other folders I got an error saying "not accessible, check username password". 

csrss.exe did not have a description in task manager so I suspected it could be something malicious.  I searched online and the responses I saw were either a virus/malware or hard disk failure, or possibly some startup file for a certain service was corrupted and was hanging up the rest of the process. 

I ran the hardware test at startup and the S.M.A.R.T test failed with error code 303 which appears to be disk failure. 

However I then tried booting into safe mode and was able to start windows with no problems and able to access all my files and programs.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it really is a disk failure or something I could fix.  Should I try to just back up all my files and try to system restore?  Or is there some way to fix without doing all that.  Please let me know how I should start tackling the issue.

Additional Information: The only other program I've noticed lately is Apple Software Update which started popping in my system tray a few days before this all happened and when I look into its program files folder it lists date modified as 6/1/2011 which is strange because I'm pretty sure I uninstalled all programs I wasn't using when I got the computer 1/10/2012.  I do not own any Apple products so it's strange to be popping up all of a sudden.  However it is possible I may have clicked links to ITunes a few months ago without installing it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by toka, 16 November 2014 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Hello toka, and welcome to BC! We apologize for the delay in response to your topic!

First off:

I ran the hardware test at startup and the S.M.A.R.T test failed with error code 303 which appears to be disk failure.

This is the big one, so yes...please back up all the information you don't want to lose right away!! Before we overwork the HDD testing it! System Restore will not help a failing hard drive. The smart test attempts to predict HDD failure, but that's not always the case if the test fails. Nevertheless, you need to back up the data that you want to save before you go any further!

Once you get the information you want to save backed-up, then we can run a drive test to be sure if the drive is failing or not. Doing anything else before backing up, would not be wise! :wink:

==========

Next: csrss.exe is legit as long as it resides in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client/Server_Runtime_Subsystem :wink:

==========

What is the Manufacturer of the Hard Drive (Seagate, Western Digital...etc.)?

bloopie

P.S.- I have moved this topic to the Windows 7 forum for more exposure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users