Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates fail repeatedly Error 80071AA7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rima017

rima017

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

I have multiple security updates failing each time they install but fail to configure upon reboot. The error associated with all the failed updates is 80071AA7 and I have exhausted my search on the microsoft support forum and have tried everything from installing in a clean boot to installing each one separately from their site. They seem to install fine but when I restart it gets to step 3 of 3 in configuration and fails and says it is reverting to before the updates. Some people I read had a problem that their computer would not start and was stuck in this loop but my computer just reverts the changes and allows me to sign back on but has the same updates waiting to be installed again. Any help would be appreciated! I have windows vista ultimate service pack 2, 32 bit on a Dell Vostro 1510;

these are the updates that are failing KB3003743, KB2993958, KB2992611, KB3010788, KB2991963, KB3005607, KB3006226, KB3002885, KB3003057, and Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2. I've tried reinstalling the microsoft Net frameowork via the support page on microsoft as well - no luck.Other updates for microsoft security essentials seems have succeeded (KB2310138) 

Edited by rima017, 16 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions Here to run the System Update Readiness Tool. When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

#3 rima017

rima017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

Cheksur Log: 

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22574
Package Version 12.0
2015-01-06 20:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2019
 No errors detected
(w) Unable to read Event Log 0x00000017 System

CheckSur.persist Log:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22574
Package Version 12.0
2015-01-06 20:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2019
 No errors detected
(w) Unable to read Event Log 0x00000017 System

I restarted after the hotfix was downloaded and complete and successful but all the updates still did not configure correctly.  

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

I found this blog about someone having a similar problem.

Sounds like a corrupted file that chkdsk cant/wont fix.

Hope it works for you too.

#5 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hello,

SFC /SCANNOW

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD

• Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator

• Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW

• Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:

cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

• Press Enter

• Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users