Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Man has NFC chips injected into his hands to store cold Bitcoin wallet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Any serious Bitcoin user will preach the benefits of cold storage: keeping the bulk of your bitcoins offline somewhere, like on an encrypted USB stick, or even printed on a piece of paper. The idea is that by keeping that data offline, it’s far less susceptible to being hacked.

So, the theory goes: what could be safer than keeping it inside your own body?

For the last 10 days, Martijn Wismeijer, a Dutch entrepreneur and Bitcoin enthusiast, has lived with an NFC chip embedded in each hand. One has data that he’s constantly overwriting; he can put his contact details in simply by having another person scan his hand with an NFC-enabled phone. But the other contains the encrypted private key to his wallet.

"I use it for cold storage, but it's not cold because it's 37 degrees Celsius inside my body!" he told Ars over Skype on Friday.

Specifically, he has an "NFC Type 2 compliant NTAG216 RFID chipset" embedded in a tiny glass capsule (2 millimeters by 12 millimeters) that was injected into the fleshy part of his hand between his thumb and index finger. Each capsule can hold just 880 bytes of data, which is more than enough for a cold storage wallet. The Dutchman got it as part of a pre-loaded syringe sold as a $99 kit from DangerousThings.com, a Washington State-based website that sells to hobbyists and biohackers.

On Nov. 3, 2014, Wismeijer had it installed by Tom van Oudenaarden of Piercing Studio Utrecht after his own Amsterdam doctor refused.

Man has NFC chips injected into his hands to store cold Bitcoin wallet

I guess that's 1 way of doing it. Wont be long before we all have some kind of chip in our bodies with all our details on it. Wont the NSA love that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Shaking hands as a form of greeting will be viewed with suspicion !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

Somehow when I'm reading this I'm imaging people in a dystopian empire with implanted chips to keep them compliant... Bah, too much video games.

#4 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

I feel it is like more like Mr.House from Fallout : New Vegas. Chips in our bodies, not too uncommon, but not common either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users