Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Set Up Question...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 7Mozart7

7Mozart7

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

I need to set up a computer using a wireless USB setup so my wife can work at home. I know I have to use the wireless adapter setup CD in her computer, but I'm confused as to how it works via my own computer

I'm using the Windows 7 home operating system, & her computer uses the Windows 7 Professional system. Although I haven't set up her computer yet, I put the wireless USB adapter into the back of my modem & when I did that, I lost my network connection, & it stated "unknown something or other" & wouldn't connect to the internet

My question is this, while I'm using a basic cable line to get on the internet, & she'll be using a wireless connection, will the wireless USB adapter on my computer modem keep the two computers separate, meaning two separate connections where I can be online doing my thing & she can be online doing her thing at the same time? I need it to be two separate connections & computers

Thanks for any help

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2014 - 09:53 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

A wireless usb adapter is attached to the computer that is accessing wireless, not to the modem itself if you are talking about one of these. Does your modem have wireless capabilities? Is it a modem/wireless router device?

If you use cable and only have a basic cable modem that connects to the internet then you will need to purchase a wireless router also.

#3 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for replying, & yes, I figured out the adapter goes into my wife's computer. I finally got her online, & everything seemed fine. But this morning, when I went online, everything was good for a short time, then all of a sudden, I couldn't connect to any sites. I checked my connection, & saw I'd lost my regular network connection & was back on "unknown connection", which I'm assuming is the wireless connection (she wasn't using her computer at this time)

I had to pull the adapter out of her computer, then open my control panel & reconnect with my regular connection

My modem from the cable company has the US/DS, Online, WIFI & Tel 1 lights lit up

What I need to do is have my computer run on the cable & hers on wireless, with both computers being totally separate from each other. Is that possible, & if so, what do I need to do?

Thanks again for any help

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

If I understand correctly you would be hardwired and your wife would have wireless. No network between the two computers. Only internet access. Is your wife on wireless now or is it still not functional? What is the make and model of the USB adapter? Also, are you using WPA2 + AES encryption for your wife's wireless. Anything less is not safe. You would need to set up encryption in the modem but I believe WPA2 would be default.

How to check Encryption Windows 7

Even if your wife was also connected via Ethernet (hard wired) on another port of the modem, your computers would still be separate if you did not set up networking between the two computers.

#5 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Yes, I'm using a hardwired (cable) connection, & my wife will be using a wireless connection, because there's no cable connection in the room her computer is in. The cable guy told us all we'd have to do is insert a wireless adapter & she could have internet service

I'm just using my computer for surfing, email, stuff like that. She needs hers for work related stuff, but she'll be going on her companies private work site (network?) The company has it's own security stuff, so I'm assuming when she get's into her work network it will be secure

When I set it up, it asked me if the 2 computers will be a work or home network, so I chose home. I'd rather not have both computers on a network, but it seems that's not an option

She's online, but hasn't accessed her companies site yet. Although I took out the adapter when I was having issues connection. I just got home now, tried to get online, & the same thing happened again. I couldn't get online. It kept telling me I was on the wireless network & it wasn't working. Somehow the wireless WIFI thing is overriding my cable connection

The adapter is a Linksys Wireless Adapter

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

When you initially connect Windows will ask if the connection is a Home,Public, or Work network. If you do not set up a Home Group by getting a password from one computer and using it in the other computer on the network, the computers will be separate. If you cannot see any folders on your wife's computer, then you are okay.

You did not install any software to your computer, correct? I would need the model number of the adapter. It may be best to uninstall the Linksys software for the adapter and only use Windows Wifi setup. What program tells you that you are on wireless and what is the exact message it says. Is this a message that comes from the modem?

Edit: Do you have a model number and make of the modem/router?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#7 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

No, I did not install any software to my computer, but my computer is the "base", the only computer that the outside cable wire is plugged into

The adapter is a "cisco" model # AE 1200

My control panel is what's telling me I'm on a wireless network. I don't get a message, I just check the control panel when all of a sudden I can't connect to any sites. It changes by itself. I was always on "network 3" before I screwed around with this wireless thing. Last night I couldn't get on any sites, & I had to reconnect to network 3. This morning, everything seemed fine, as I was online reading, & then wham, I couldn't connect anymore. I checked the control panel & sure enough, it was back on wireless network, which wouldn't allow me to open any sites either. It wouldn't connect back to the regular network 3 either, until I shut down her computer & retried numerous times. So I'm not sure what's going on

The modem is the xfinity modem the cable company gave me

Thank you for your help & time. I truly appreciate it

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

I really don't understand how your computer can state you are on a wirless network when connected via Ethernet. This is starting to get out my area of experience. I would start a new thread in the Networking Forum and reference this thread. I believe you will get better results there.

Edit: If your computer has a wireless adapter disable it in Device Manager. Right click > Disable.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#9 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

I found a wireless LAN Card. Does that enable me to connect with wireless?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Yes it does but I don't understand why it keeps kicking you off unless there is some conflict with the current wireless LAN card you have. In Device Manager Right click it and select disable but not uninstall. See if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users