Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I check the health of my hardware? (RAM, CPU, HDD, motherboard)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Techharv

Techharv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi I am running a WIndows 7 laptop and it been running since 2011 and since it been awhile I would like to check everything to see where they are at in term of when they will "dies" so I can plan accordingly to either replace them or build a bare metal desktop. So do you guys have any suggestions on how to do this? 

Edited by Techharv, 16 November 2014 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Basically, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said, you can check the health of the RAM by running Memtest86.

Memtest86 Instructions

Memtest86

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

You can check the health of the hdd by running a scan with SeaTools for Windows.

As for the motherboard, there really isn't anything you can do until you have a problem with it.  About the only thing you can do is physically inspect it for bad electrolytic capacitors.  Good caps will have a flat top.  A bad cap can have a bulging top and or a leak at the base.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 metalupyourmax

metalupyourmax

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

CrystalDiskInfo is a good program for checking HDD health, and its very straigthforward. Ive used it for a couple of years.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

#4 Techharv

Techharv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BO8sBI3HlIgmlj2lKlDYcdk  Here is the link to the Speccy log. I noticed in Speccy that I am using a high amount of the RAM's 798Mhz's of power is it possible that the Hewlett-Packard 179B (U3E1) board can accept a faster RAM stick than this to prevent any problems of a possible bottleneck? If not will adding another 4GB 798Mhz stick will cause both sticks to work with one another to deliver any extra speed or will this only helps if I actually need the whole 8GB? Also does anyone have the average time a Hitachi HTS725050A7E630 500GB HDD will lasts? My been powered on for 9,032 hours according to SeaTools so I would like to know how close I am at from it "dying". Or should I be looking at something else to determine this? 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

You haven't posted the make and model of this computer, so I don't know if this computer will take another 4GB of RAM.  If it will you can purchase another matching module here for about $45.00.  This will allow the computer to run in dual channel, effectively making the RAM run twice as fast.

If you post the make and model of this computer I will do a search and let you know what I find out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Techharv

Techharv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

I found the model of this computer to be HP Elitebook 8470P is that the whole thing or where do I find the rest of the information (I was given this so I don't have the packaging)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users