Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software licenses and imaging

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer folks,

I was wondering: If you use an image backup software (i.e. Acronis True Image) to re-image one drive to another, then will the licenses of the applications still remain? Or are they wiped as in a completely new installation?

I'm asking this because my HDD has signs of failing, yet I have some software that I couldn't afford to lose its license.

Thank you for answering.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

All your licensing will be intact including your Windows Activation. I have reimaged many time with Macrium Free and I have never had a problem with licensing. The image you have is one that was done prior to the drive failing, correct?

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

All your licensing will be intact including your Windows Activation. I have reimaged many time with Macrium Free and I have never had a problem with licensing. The image you have is one that was done prior to the drive failing, correct?

Just asking to be sure. Thank you.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Just to add to what JohnC said. If you have reason to believe that your hard drive is heading for failure, the absolute priority is your own data. This is the stuff you cannot replace - work, photos, music, etc..

Most software suppliers are fairly understanding about re-installing software, it may sometimes take a phone call to get authorisation, but I have never been refused activation for any software I have purchased. An image of course will simplify this process a great deal - but the priority remains your own data.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sorry for butting in.

Is there a way to backup these licenses? Say copy and paste the key's to a USB stick? This includes Windows key and MS Office?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

You can backup the keys with Produkey.

You can backup the activation files with Advance Token Manager which can also backup Office 2010 activation

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Thanks John.

So now my suggestion is back up the keys before doing anything else.  When doing anything  on a PC there is no 100% guarantee that it will work, And as the Boy Scout's always say " Be Prepared "

Edited by NickAu1, 16 November 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

Just to add to what JohnC said. If you have reason to believe that your hard drive is heading for failure, the absolute priority is your own data. This is the stuff you cannot replace - work, photos, music, etc..

Most software suppliers are fairly understanding about re-installing software, it may sometimes take a phone call to get authorisation, but I have never been refused activation for any software I have purchased. An image of course will simplify this process a great deal - but the priority remains your own data.

Chris Cosgrove

I'm asking this because my data backup is done, and I'm turning to some other stuff that I could not save. Some of the programs in my laptop are installed by somebody else, and he did not leave both the installer and the key. So I have to try and save them.

Thanks Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users