Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer dummy needs help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob8823

bob8823

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hey guys, as the title says, dummy needs help.  I have an old Dell Inspiron 531 in my shop, it has windows vista on it.  A few months ago when it quit working, I saw tht the power supply fan was not running and thought this might be the problem.  I took the numbers of it and found an identical one on ebay for $20.  Figured it was worth $20 bucks to try and it actually worked.  Fast forward 3 months and the computer is doing the same thing (not able to boot up) but in this case the power supply fan is running. 

Any thoughts on what might be causing this and anything I can try.  Keep in mind if you are able to help that I have zero technical knowledge about computers, I am strictly a computer user. If its something that requires R & R, I can handle that, but beyond that probably not much help.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas, thanks in advance.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

What specifically does it do when you turn it on? Does it stay on? Blank screen??

#3 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

What specifically does it do when you turn it on? Does it stay on? Blank screen??

The Dell logo flashes on for a second and then just a black screen.  Also, the power button on the monitor go from green to orange.  I tested the monitor on another computer and it works fine.  Thanks for the reply.

#4 bob8823

bob8823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

The Dell logo flashes on for a second and then just a black screen.  Also, the power button on the monitor go from green to orange.  I tested the monitor on another computer and it works fine.  Thanks for the reply.

Anybody??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users