Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Wifi in a large house

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 New_Suburban

New_Suburban

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hi All, I've been trolling the internet but can't find a solution that would apply to me. Also I'm not very technical so I may just be lost :-)

Situation : I have just moved to a large house, where the wifi signal wont carry from downstairs to upstairs. We have cable internet service and the house is wired for ethernet cables in the wall sockets. I have 2 active ethernet ports, one downstairs and one upstairs. I have a new high end Netgear router plugged into the internet downstairs. I have an older (more basic) netgear router which I was planning to plug into the internet cable upstairs. I cannot logistically run a wire from 1 router to another. 

As I understand it, this would create 2 separate wifi networks, which is not ideal. The upstairs router is far enough that it doesn't catch the wifi signal from downstairs, so making it a repeater wouldn't work either. Is there a way to use the hard wire into the internet from the upstairs router, and still create a single consolidated wifi network which spans both floors of the house ? 

Thank you ! 

AK

Edited by New_Suburban, 16 November 2014 - 11:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

Where do the wires lead to? If you can wire in the downstairs router into the wiring and the same subnet is avail on both then just turn off DHCP on the older router and use it as a access point. But it really depends if the wires are run in such a way you can get both outlets on the same subnet.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users