Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and 8.1 updates apps and system refresh wont work.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 heimdal7

heimdal7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

I originally had 8.1 on my laptop  and at one point it stopped being able to install updates. They would fail every time it tried. I ended up doing a reformat since I couldn't find a cause for the problem. Well this time I left it at 8 but after around a month it started again. It can't do updates ,it can't  install win 8.1 ,  apps won't turn on (was finally able get the app store to start). Also system refresh and any other repair thing won't work. Firefox also acts funny  where ad block won't work and  certain settings won't save.  I've run every scan I can think of but have not found anything. I'm at a lost what to do not knowing if it is some kind of virus or hardware malfunction or something else. The system uses a partition to reformat from not a disk. I also here a periodic clicking and the  dvd drive or hard drive (not sure which) would rev occasionally. I don't think it has done it recently.  The computer is a asus g75  gforce gtx 670mx.

Some of the scans I've done are  avast and avg, malware bytes, advance system care, ccleaner, bitdefender, Microsoft malicious scan, spybot search and destroy. Also some Microsoft system file scan but forget the name. I didn't have both anti virus on system at the same time.

Edited by heimdal7, 16 November 2014 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heimdal7

heimdal7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

No one has any ideas to this? Could there be some kind of permanent corruption?

#3 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer heimdal7 :)

There is a chance there is some kind of hardware problem with your laptop hemdal7. I wouldn't conclude your PC is clean from viruses though. I'd recommend you to create a thread here to get started. Good luck!

#4 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:31 AM

i can help u with this issue ,just let me know did you face the problem (it says proxy server not responding ) or unable to open websites sometimes if yes then it is the problem due to proxy settings plz reply back if u find this error

#5 heimdal7

heimdal7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

Well the app icons push in but don't  actually start. Now the updates they will download go to install but then at around the configuring update screen it says it fails and reverts back. Also liek I said I can't do a system refresh it has be a full reinstall.

#6 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

Okay first check this come on desktop then use rhe combo keyboard (windows+R) then type there inetcpl.cpl and press enter it will open internet properties ,go to connections there and then you will find (lan) click on that and check whether automatically detect settings is checked or not if some other things are checked like by pass proxy server or other one please download hitman pro tool and run it .if it doesnt work go to windows 8 startup and type in search (resolution) please check and let me know the resolution plz

#7 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

And if both the above doesnt work plz check your microsoft account settings once

#8 heimdal7

heimdal7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Nope neither worked and no malware detected. The microsoft account settings are fine as far as I can tell.

#9 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

Could you try to make another microsoft account and then try with the new account see it there is still the problem and plz let me know are you able to download any file using internet

#10 heimdal7

heimdal7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

Ok made a alt account and apps did work. Downloads work fine but It is windows specific updates that won't install and windows specific things like refresh and system repair. I was able to install optional updates for the asus laptop itself apparently through the update system.

I don't know if there is some kind of corruption with the windows OS that is happening to cause  this stuff to happen.  IS it possible for a virus to  make a separate partition so it can't be deleted or detected?  Also when running ccleaner scan  the system log file keeps  fillign up fast quickly building up a gig or more of data with in a couple days.

Edited by heimdal7, 25 November 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just to ask, do you have a system image either on a usb stick, an external hardrive or scattered across a heap of cd-rw discs? In my experience with window 8 system images sometimes work when reset/refresh, automatic repair, system restore and system recovery discs do not. It may alos be possible that there is a recovery partition with an old system image somehwere on your harddrive. Another thing i should ask is did you start with windows 8, get forcibly upgraded to 8.1 and then suffer problems? Some hardware that works for windows 8 won't with 8.1, it is rare for a system to run 8.0 without trouble but have problems with 8.1 but it can happen. If i am right in interpreting your first post as the following sequnce happening to you:

1.had a windows 8 computer

2.computer upgraded to 8.1 of it's own accord

3.immediately after upgrade system had problems including inability to make further updates

4.managed to revert to 8.0, everything worked fine for a while

5.computer then forcibly upgraded again

6.and since that upgrade the problems have been happening again?

My first instinct would be to use a system image to go back to an earlier state, or do whatever you did to go back to 8.0. See if your machine works well then and if windows updates can be installed, but avoid two particular updates KB2871389 and KB2973544. Then test all the other things that you say aren't working correctly at present, i suspect they might work again. If i am right in interpreting that upgrades to 8.1 have caused your problems then removing/not installing in the first place those two particular updates should stop the computer being turned into 8.1 wihout your permission. If i am wrong in interpreting that your problems happened after upgrading then this is not relevant to your issue. If that doesn't help then i am not sure what has caused your issues but suspect it may be rather serious whatever it is, if restoring to an earlier state can't help.

I can't say i know enough about viruses to say whether one could do the weird things to the partitions that you suggest, but it might be worth asking for advice about that. The fact that CCleaner shows such a rapid buildup of temp file and that an adblocker doesn't work certainly looks suspicious, but it could be a random sympton of damage of some sort rather than a virus.

If you are able to use a system image to "take the system back" to an earlier state before these problems began then you might be able to cure them all(whether they are corruption, random damage or malware).

Before using system images make sure to backup all your recent personal files (documents,pictures,videos,audio,zip archives) to an external device (dvd, cd-rw, usb or external harddrive) as system images usually erase EVRYTHING on the disc and replace it with what was there when the image was made. If a system image works to restore your computer to a working state then just to be safe make sure to carefully antivirus scan all those backups before copying the files back onto your "new" machine. There is a good guide on this site for how to perfrom system images, there are also plenty of people here with more skill than me who can advise you before you attempt to restore from an image about any issues you encounter.

Edited by rp88, 25 November 2014 - 07:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 heimdal7

heimdal7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

No it  reinstalled form a image. The first time I updated to 8.1 myself  and it worked fine. Then at sometime I noticed it was failing everytime it tryed to do a update. After trying everythign I could find i did a full reinstall from the factory image. The 2nd time I kept it at 8.0  when it started doing it again . Win 8.1 cant even install as that fails to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users