Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 bit operating in 64 bit machine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ISHWAR DATT MISHRA

ISHWAR DATT MISHRA

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

I am having hp pavilion g4 1303au laptop

specification-

AMD A4 -3330MX

RAM 2 GB

i am having issue with speed as my laptop often hangs. memory usage is normally 70% , my kaspersky antivirus is taking up a lot of RAM.

I read some where that for 64 bit RAM should ideally be 4 GB. My processor is of 64 bit architecture. And using 64 Bit windows 7 home premium. 

so my question is would it do any good if i use a 32 bit windows 7 OS. or would it be a problem as my processor is 64 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

laptop often hangs

Do you mean that the system freezes and is unresponsive to the keyboard and possibly the mouse? ..Or do you mean that the system slows down so much that you have to wait long times between commands from the mouse and keyboard?

usage is normally 70%

That is way too high just for regular computer use; you are running only 2gigs of RAM (memory) and Windows really needs at least 4 gigs to run adequately. That definitely is one reason for the problems. That should be the first thing you do.... increase your memory to 4 gigs whether you are running 64 bit or 32 bit. You should stick with the 64 bit system. It's a far more efficient platform and 32 bit will be eventually phased out of usage. Most new software now is being written for 64 bit systems.

kaspersky antivirus is taking up a lot of RAM

IMHO, Kaspersky is a resource hog and will slow any system. I suggest using the Windows Antivirus and Firewall on a laptop. Windows AV has a good reputation, at least equal to Kaspersky and maybe better, and will not slow your system. Windows firewall is not as feature-rich as some others, but it is solid and dependable and will not slow the system. If you choose to use Windows AV, definitely remove Kaspersky; do not have two AVs running at the same time.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

The real reason for using a 64 bit OS is to address 4Gb of RAM and more, the upper address limit for a 32 bit OS is about 3.4Gb - I forget the exact figure. The fact that you have a 64 bit OS means that should you wish to increase the amount of your RAM at any time you will be able to take full advantage of it.

To change to a 32 bit OS would require you buying another copy of Win 7. My local computing supplier will sell me 8 Gb of laptop RAM for the cost of a copy of Win 7, and I presume the ratio is much the same in India. I would save my money and buy some more RAM !

I have no personal experience with Kaspersky but I am not too sure to what Windows antivirus Ranchhand is referring to. Windows Defender as built into Win 7 is not an anti-virus program. If you feel you must replace Kaspersky I would go for one of the free A/Vs such as Avast or AVG, but by all means use the Windows firewall.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users