Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post a piccy of your Desktop/Laptop Setup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

As the title suggests, doesn't matter what it is, anything'll do :D.

I'll kick things off.

y5eBg.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 10:53 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Photo Albums, etc. - Hamluis.

mYIGVc5.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

120mj43.jpg

Yes the SSD is screwed to the bottom of the case. I drilled the holes myself. That's the PC in my sig.

Great idea Ezzah And while members are taking snaps they can also clean the cooling fans and heat sink.

Before putting the case back in the little hutch it lives in under my desk, I gave everything a good clean with a can of compressed air, Then, I sprayed the hutch with roach spray and then carefully wiped the sides top and bottom with a rag that had roach spray on it,  (Before you ask, The outside of the case )

Edited by NickAu1, 17 November 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Here's my "desktop".

24flgqp.jpg

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

New tower

upJhvAG.jpg

Old tower

jJtLIGI.jpg

Monitoring some machines, old pic but still was a good bit of software but they forced it to be paid (Used to be free for 50 nodes)

GpzIaAA.gif

that new server smell mmmmmmmmm.

gxVPT9n.jpg

I forgot to mention, i build all my computers/servers using just this one tool.

0kL0Oc0.jpg

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 18 November 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Do all those light's make it any faster?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

what's that monitoring application Johnny?

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

nick the lights are great after a few beers and tea leaves??

TsV the app is called SmartX ControlUp, its very customizable on what you display and incredibly easy on resources, good for citrix etc etc

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 17 November 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

TsV the app is called SmartX ControlUp, its very customizable on what you display and incredibly easy on resources, good for citrix etc etc

I really like the look of it... Will have to see how it holds up. Thanks :thumbup2:

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yeah mate i just redownloaded it and run it on a node, now the website says its free for 50 nodes but in order to extend the license you have to spam your friends a maximum of 4 times at 15 day periods so it isnt free.

They have also changed the interface slightly to make it more Office 2013 skined which i hate. You will aslo have to create/edit your firewall policy to allow for the listening port to comminucate with the command centre!

Do that before deployment mate.

I had approx 100 machines in 4 branches all running fine, good to see when people are complainign their machines are slow but basically i can get the same info from all machines using wmic lol.

Not hard to remotley view registry,event viewer, C$, gpedit /gpcomputer: computername, etc etc.

Eventually i might have a crack at making my own software that does this (When i get a little more time and better at software development.)!!!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 17 November 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, I get that info using pstools and wmic also...But it looks so pretty like that.  :inlove:

I should really get some lights and stuff for my machines too. I'll put it on the list.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:59 PM

Here's mine & don't laugh, it's a workstation! :thumbup2:

The main deal.

P1000686-2.jpg

My Wife's (pardon the mess I have on it, am working on another). 

P1000692.jpg

Main 24" ASUS Monitor that 3 computers uses.

P1000691.jpg

20" HP Monitor that my wife mostly uses (hands must have been shaky taking the pic).

P1000690.jpg

Dell Optiplex that's updating at the moment, not bad for $29 (2 Pictures). 

P1000689.jpg

P1000685.jpg

MSI FX603, the best notebook that I have (powered by i5-480M & NVIDIA 425M), and the computer I'm making this post with. 

P1000688.jpg

"The Hoss", Dell XPS 8700 (pic could be better, but the specs are in my sig). 

P1000687.jpg

Finally, "Old Trusty", an IBM t42 Thinkpad with dual drives. Forgotten about by many, but I still use it to do real work, using a docking station to clean infected drives of others. Deserves mention due to longevity & reliability. 

P1000693.jpg

Have an old Dell Dimension 2400 that's been in the closet boxed up since the day the XPS 8700 came through the door, hopefully everyone understands why it's that way.  :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

Nice KayFun Cat :thumbup2:

I use a Nautilus Mini with a spinner at work (you can actually see it if you blow up my pic, between the post-its). Waiting for my eLeaf iStick... plug in the microUSB and keep on vaping. B)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yeah TsVk!, I see it! :thumbup2:

Next week will be my 1st anniversary of being smoke free after 37 years of one to one & a half packs per day. I no longer need asthma medicine, and for the first winter in 7 years (the past one), I haven't had a major chest illness (pneumonia & plural fluid buildup) that required heavy doses of antibiotics, and my doctors are proud of me. 

That big stainless steel one is an Astro Clone, though it performs as good as the real for 15% of the price. My wife has bought me an Innokin MVP 2.0 at a great deal from here, will give it to me for Christmas. Bought the 3 year SquareTrade warranty with it, being the battery is non-removeable, it's covered. It was almost half the cost over what the vape shops wanted, and still $30 less after the warranty was purchased. 

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/innokin-itaste-mvp-2-0-starter-kit-black-with-iclear30-free-shipping/272683119.html?listingId=367140874&sclid=pla_google_VapingTown&adid=29963&gclid=CLXF08Wrg8ICFY_m7Aod1U8AvQ

I Love my vape gear and have a decent collection of tanks. No more going outside at night in the cold & rain to smoke.  :)

Looks like your setup is a Workstation also, it seems like there's never enough room. Would have purchased the larger model of this one, but they were all gone, and the ones who owned the furniture store are also my landlord, so I was given the best price possible. Will probably get my wife a laptop desk for hers, that will give me more room, and allow me to break out an older, but still good, 19" NEC monitor with DVI-D & VGA inputs, cost over $700 when new in 2002/03. Best link I could find. 

http://www.superwarehouse.com/NEC_MultiSync_LCD1960NX-BK_Black_19_LCD/LCD1960NX-BK/p/318577

It can be used for virtual machines, plus for that IBM, that notebook also has a real docking station too. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 November 2014 - 12:00 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

My health has improved considerably since throwing in the smokes and moving to vaping too. No more tight chests and feeling ill. Vaping saved my life.  :thumbsup: 

My workstation at home is even more crowded, even though the desk is bigger. It has a ton of music production gear also... love my toys.

#15 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm not ripping my computer to show the innards but here's my battle station:

2cgod2c.jpg

Spec:

• i5-3570k Overclocked to 4.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR3 2133MHz RAM
  • Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
  • GTX 660ti 3GB Graphics card
  • Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
  • 2 x 1TB Storage Drives
  • My old Scorpio Black 750GB drive from my laptop for my Steam library
  • Corsair RM650 PSU
  • Windows 8.1

All housed in a Fractal Design Define XL case. Biggest bloody bit of technology I own!

It's also outputting to 2 x Samsung 22" Syncmasters, a 26" Samsung TV to the left, and a projector outputting to a 92" area on the opposing wall. Veddy nice indeed :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users