Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lubuntu and an old Dell Dimension 3000

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hello,

I would like to install Lubuntu on an old Dell Dimension 3000, but the problem is that It will not boot up into Windows. I would like to download Lubuntu on a different computer, save it to a disk and place it on the Dell Dimension 3000. I have been looking at this for awhile, and I am able to find how to burn the ISO, or replace my current OS. If I burn the ISO would I be able to insert the disk into the Dell, boot from that drive, and fully install it that way. The Dell is already capable of running live CDs, but I would like to actually install the OS on to the HDD. If someone could please help me with this, that would be great, and I would really appreciate the help. 

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

Can you get into the bios, or is it already set to boot from either usb or dvd?  Maybe I should ask, does any writing come up on the screen when you try to start it?  I don't mean to dumb this down too much.  If so, depending on your machine you can start pressing one of the f keys, at least once a second I'm told, different machines even of the same brand are different there, and your bios will come up.  Start tapping the key as soon as the writing starts, or even before is ok.  Make sure whatever your iso is burned to is listed as the first to boot, and then reboot with your iso in.  You do know you need to burn your iso with an iso burner don't you?  Specs, processor speed type, ram, even hard drive size would be helpful for giving  you information.  More help should be forthcoming.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

If I burn the ISO would I be able to insert the disk into the Dell, boot from that drive

Yes, Burn the ISO to CD/DVD, Then boot your pc into BIOS ( Tap the F2 or F12 a few times just after you hit the on button) set the PC to boot from CD/DVD and reboot. Your pc will now boot from the Live Linux distro.

Once it boots there will be a shortcut in the desktop that installs the Operating system for you. Just do the default install let Linux handle it all, When asked select replace Windows.

PLEASE NOTE.

Before you do any of this, Are there any files eg Music, Photos or Documents on that PC that you wish to save? Do not worry that you cant boot windows we can recover those files ( in most cases) using Linux BEFORE you start installing.

Download lubuntu (Intel x86) desktop CD  

This Video shows the guy installing to Virtual machine, Its the same process to install normally, Anyway it will give you a rough idea what to expect.
http://youtu.be/SQ970AlX4Ek

Edited by NickAu1, 16 November 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

If I burn the ISO would I be able to insert the disk into the Dell, boot from that drive

Yes, Burn the ISO to CD/DVD, Then boot your pc into BIOS ( Tap the F2 or F12 a few times just after you hit the on button) set the PC to boot from CD/DVD and reboot. Your pc will now boot from the Live Linux distro.

Once it boots there will be a shortcut in the desktop that installs the Operating system for you. Just do the default install let Linux handle it all, When asked select replace Windows.

PLEASE NOTE.

Before you do any of this, Are there any files eg Music, Photos or Documents on that PC that you wish to save? Do not worry that you cant boot windows we can recover those files ( in most cases) using Linux BEFORE you start installing.

Download lubuntu (Intel x86) desktop CD  

This Video shows the guy installing to Virtual machine, Its the same process to install normally, Anyway it will give you a rough idea what to expect.
http://youtu.be/SQ970AlX4Ek

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for. No, there are not any files that are worth saving, but thank you anyway. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:17 AM

You are welcome, If you need anymore help please let us know.

If you go ahead and install Linux, First thing you must do after the pc reboots to your new install is open terminal and type or copy and paste the following.

sudo ufw enable

Then hit enter.

This will enable your firewall and create a script that will start your firewall each time your pc boots up.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 November 2014 - 05:17 AM.

#6 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

Okay, I will make sure to do that. Do you happen to know where I may find a different ISO? This one seems to be corrupted, and is giving me errors while burning the ISO. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the actual burning program, and I have been able to complete other projects, but this particular ISO always comes up with various error messages. 

Edited by beachfeet, 17 November 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

This is the MD5 hash for the download NickAU1 linked to.

6f1cf300adea875cfdf1948050e8f92e     lubuntu-14.10-desktop-i386.iso

Compare it to the MD5 of the iso you downloaded. If it's the same, use Imgburn to burn the iso at a speed of 4X if possible. Opt out of any optional programs lmgburn asks you to install.

#8 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Edited by beachfeet, 17 November 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#9 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

They match, but I was hoping to make a bootable USB.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

You can make a bootable USB using Rufus.

#11 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for the reply. I have tried Rufus and WintoBootic. They will both start, then half way through the process is when the corrupted file error shows up. Rufus is the program that I am used to using, so that was the first one that I tried.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

Try Unetbootin. It will also download the ISO for you.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

http://youtu.be/rvsDHM68jM8

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

PS.

Just for fun try this. Its Puppy linux 200 MB download then burn it to CD/DVD or USB and boot your pc from it.

Download Puppy here.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Edited by NickAu1, 17 November 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#14 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

PS.

Just for fun try this. Its Puppy linux 200 MB download then burn it to CD/DVD or USB and boot your pc from it.

Download Puppy here.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Try Unetbootin. It will also download the ISO for you.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

http://youtu.be/rvsDHM68jM8

Thank you very much. I will go on ahead and give these a try within the next couple of days.

Edited by beachfeet, 19 November 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

There's not really much difference between the Dell Dimension 3000 & the 2400 that I have in the closet. 

It should run lightweight Linux OS's fine, but the heavy ones (such as Linux Mint MATE 13) the latest Mint version you can run, will slow the computer, though it'll run MInt 13 Xfce fine. 

Would be great if you could find a used Dimension 4600 motherboard for it, they're cheap (maybe $20) & provides two more RAM slots, and a perfect fit. Those type of RAM sticks & CPU's are also dirt cheap, many are $10 or less, I've bought a couple of the CPU's for $8 or so with free shipping. I wished I knew of that motherboard upgrade when my 2400 was in use, it was retired over 13 months ago. 

However, as long as the computer runs, we'll find something that'll run on it. 

Oh, and to keep you Linux ISO's from becoming corrupted, install & use Firefox for the download. Once FF is installed, go to the Menu, those three vertical lines in the upper right hand corner, and click add-ons. Search for "Down Them All", and install it, it's a download manager. This keeps the download from breaking up, preventing corruption & speeding things up at the same time. Once you have Down Them All installed, it becomes a choice to use when downloading. Use it for these type of files. 

The cool thing about a download manager is that even if the connection breaks for a bit, it'll pick up where left off & it'll be complete. 

Hopefully you'll get a little more time out of the system, however please don't make the same mistake I did. I sunk over $100 in trying to make something out of that 2400, and by the time it was said & done, maybe gained 20% in performance. Had I known about the 4600 motherboard, I'd have gone that way, but still, don't spend a ton of cash on that PC thinking you'll have a powerhouse, you'll be disappointed, and that cash could buy a nice used PC. Many of which can be found for $100 or less & run the latest titles. Sometimes folks will give away a 6-7 year old computer, Vista PC's make great Linux ones & can run the latest. 

So, if my expensive lesson can assist anyone, I see it as not so bad of a loss. The PC is what it is, and even with the 4600 motherboard, it's not going to set the woods on fire, and still won't run the latest versions. 

And of course, I'm more than happy to assist, where I can. Unfortunately, I'm experienced with Puppy, so I'll let those who knows it guide you. Lubuntu, Linux Mint Xfce, those type is where I can assist. 

BTW, Linux Mint is often referred to as the perfect drop in replacement for Windows XP. This goes for version 13 also. Again, if you're interested in that one, 13 Xfce is the one you'll want. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113

And don't forget what I advised on Firefox & using Down Them All, it's the best free download manager that I've used that was available as a browser add-on (also called extension). Don't hesitate to ask questions when needed. We've all been in the same place you are today, and most of us learned from the teachings or guidance of others. There is no shame in asking for help, and no such thing as "dumb" questions, except for the one not asked when in need. In other words, we're here for you. 

Good Luck &  :welcome: to the Linux section of BC Forums!

We're happy to have you abroad.  :)

EDIT: That PC should be able to boot from a Flash drive by pressing F12 at boot, but it may have to be enabled in the BIOS, which can be accessed with F2 at boot. If so, make sure that the Flash drive is installed when Windows is running, and reboot into the BIOS, it'll "see" the Flash drive to enable booting from it. With some models, it's an automatic deal, with others it has to be activated. You'll see the option when going through the menu. Make sure to press F10 to save the setting & reboot. 

The Flash drive will then be available, if it wasn't before. I've been a Dell user for nearly 14 years, having one or more models all the time during that span. Currently have three, if the Dimension 2400 in the closet counts. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 November 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users