Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can recovery be performed if the partition is formatted?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Diano

Diano

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

Can recovery be performed if the partition is formatted?

It is all right to have partition C formatted if an OS is going to be installed on Partition C.

How about in case of recovery?
Is it all right to have partition C formatted if recovery of the OS is going to be performed from CD's to partition C ?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Your first point - I am not quite clear what partition you are referring to here. A lot of current computers come with a recovery partition - normally designated D:\ by the system - which contains the data to restore the computer to an 'ex-works' condition. If you have formatted this partition then you will not be able to do a recovery because there will be nothing left to recover with. A computer which has such a partition does not normally need the C:\ partition to be formatted by you because the C:\ partition will automatically be formatted by the recovery operation.

Alternatively, some new computers come with a memory stick - or you are sold one along with the computer - to let you make your own recovery on to the memory stick. These computers do not come with a D:\ partition and so long as you have the memory stick formatting the C:\ drive is no bad thing before doing a recovery.

If you are installing a new OS, some will automatically format the drive before they start installing but it does no harm to format the drive first.

If you are restoring from CD / DVDs then formatting the drive is a good idea because it  means there will be no left over problems from the previous install.

BUT, before you do any sort of recovery back up all your own data first as this too will be wiped if you do a format. Some re-installs and new installs will create a 'Windows old' folder which will normally contain your previous 'Users' folders but I wouldn't bet on all your data being in there. If at all possible, back up your data - work, photos, music, etc. - to external media of some sort before you start any of these operations.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Diano

Diano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank you.

Yes.  You are quite right.

I have done recoveries many times on various PC's.  And I know that, if OS is installed on partition C,  partition C is formatted by the recovery process before it installs the OS and APP's supplied by OEM.

The partitions of my HDD.

Partition 0, 20GB, reserved and hidden, containing the OS for recovery.

Partition 1, 223GB, the C drive on which the OS is installed and to which the recovery installs the OS.

Partition 2, 223GB, the D drive where I save and keep everything.  I do not save or keep anything on C drive.

What I intend to do:

To have my C drive completely formatted prior to performing a recovery by the recovery CD's.

I wonder if this might hinder the recovery in any way.

Need you advice.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

If you delete the partition (hidden or otherwise) which contains the files needed for a restore-to-factory-defaults...then it would seem that the only way that a recovery would work would be if all the files necessary are on CD/DVD.

Louis

#5 Diano

Diano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks.

Not delete anything or partition.

The reserved partition 0, containing the reserved OS for recovery, is good and all therein is good. And can be used to restore-to-factory-defaults.  There is nothing with this partition or its content.

The hot key for running a recovery is functioning normally.

The recovery can be completed either by pressing the hot key or running the CD's.

There is nothing wrong with the recovery system.  

It is only that I am curious to know whether the recovery can be carried out completely if partition 1, the C drive, which is also nothing wrong, and on which OS is installed, is purposely formatted prior to running the recovery.

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

I don't have any experience with OEM recovery processes...but, as I understand it, it's amounts to a clean install on the partition which reflects the O/S.

That means that the recovery software either deletes, then formats/installs...or simply writes over the partition data reflected with a whole new set of files.  Chances are that the software does a programmed quick format reinstalls the files that take it back to when purchased.  That makes sense to me.

Either way, there should be no need to format a partition before using the recovery process...unless such is spelled out in the OEM instructions for using the recovery mechanism.

FWIW:  When doing a clean install of Windows from Genuine Windows CD/DVD...there is no need to preformat a drive...the Windows software includes all that needs to be done, from creating the partition to formatting said partition to installing files.  No reason to suspect that the OEM recovery process works any differentlly, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users