Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP camera won't send email

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 roby70

roby70

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

dear all,

I am here after loosing sleep, to try and configure my ip camera to send alert emails after motion detection.

Here is the equipment and the problem:

ip camera: bought off amazon as AJ-C0WA-C0D8, the box reports only a label with printed VA0037. Initial setup was fine, cam connected to network via wifi and can be viewed and operated (with some issues and limitations) through web browser. The web browser interface reports DBPower (and all this just confuses me).

Installed an app on android phone from cd that came with camera, APCamera, ver 5.6, P2P WiFI, and viewable but difficult to operate.

The cam is connected to my Fritz!box router and a QNAP nas surveillance station.

On the router all the needed ports are open, basically via uPnp, and also added manual rules. On the QNAP nas surveillance station the cam is recognized as Foscam FI8919W and viewable. In addition, it is set to record snapshots and videos and send via FTP to the nas, and I find those in the nas folders.

Now, the problem.

Setting up the mail service is easy, I followed the instructions for Gmail, but for other ISP providers (including my own ISP) but any possible combination results in a " Test failed .. Can not connect to the server" message. No matter changing providers and ports and ssl/tls, always the same error message.

I looked at the ports, and 465 is open while 587 is closed, as well as 25. Moreover pinging smtp.gmail.com gives a request timeout while pinging gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com works. Obviously inserting that in the SMTP field of the cam interface does not work.

I bought this cam only to have email alerts, and it seems it's what I cannot do. I am lost at heart so far, any help is appreciated.

Also, there is no way of knowing if and how to possibly upgrade firmware and UI web interface.

Anything I am doing wrong? Anyone has thought of some settings I can try? Thanks for your attention.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 comsci

comsci

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

You will not be able to send email unless you are authenticated and logged in to your email provider.

Presumably you can send email from a local (as opposed to a web interface) email client , e.g. thunderbird? You should use the same settings in your camera.

Not sure what you mean by ports 587 and 25 being closed. These are the default ports for the email client to connect to the email server so should not need configuring your end except to specify the right one for TLS or plain.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to ping the server. Many have ICMP disabled to avoid DoS attacks.

If your just looking for something to alert you to camera events, then why not check out my IP Camera FTP Service. Create a free account at app.comsci.co.uk This might suit your needs better than the email route :-)

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

Inbound ports don't matter since you are making a outbound request.  All you should have to do is put in your email address for the camera to send to.  You don't use ssl/tls to send email.  Those are used to receive the email.

Make sure the tcp/ip configuration contains a gateway entry or it can't send out.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 17 November 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#4 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

thansk for the replies

@ comsci: I am logged in, and I can send nas system error emails from nas. So I guess the sending works at least for the nas.

Pus FTP connection is established and working, and images are saved on the nas folder.

@ Wand3r3r: I did that in the various possibilities of settings, ie with and without ssl and tls, using different ports but all has the same result, can not connect to server.

tcp ip is set, the gateway is the router gateway and as a secondary dns I put up google dns.

I am able to view the cam but not to send alerts...... at this point I think the cam itself has some kind of problems

#5 comsci

comsci

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

Probably the only way to resolve the problem is to monitor what's actually happening on the network. I've found WireShark very useful for examining data on a netowrk packet by packet level. It's quite a steep learning curve but worth the pain :-)

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

" I did that in the various possibilities of settings, ie with and without ssl and tls, using different ports but all has the same result, can not connect to server"

This is wrong.  Undo all of this since this could be part of what is preventing you from sending the email.  You do none of this for a outbound email.  You only do this for receiving email which is not what the camera is doing.  My camera system only has just my email address and nothing else.

#7 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

ok Wand3r3r, will try to setup just the address.

and post a screenshot, so to try to make myself more clear. thanks

EDIT:

here it is

Attached Files

Edited by roby70, 20 November 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

Other than the port being wrong TLS is 587 and SSL is 465, what is the @gmail.com on the SMTP server line? That's confusing. if you click the down arrow what else is there? Is there a way to make it blank? because if it is trying to contact the server as smtp.gmail.com@gmail.com yeah that's not going to work. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

dear cavedweller2, the screenshot is just for a sort of information, I have tried with all the possible combination port/security, that is 587 tls/ssl and 465 tls/ssl but same error, can not connect to server. plus I have tried on port 25 with and without authentication

the dropdown just identifies other providers, yahoo, qq.com, 163.com and so on. I have also tried to manually set the smtp server (smtp.gmail.com) but once again same error.

obviously each time first I submit changes then I run the test.

the settings.cgi of the cam reports each time same parameters I had input

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

you have sender@gmail.com. the drop down takes care of the @ whatever. so just put your username for gmail in the sender and let the drop down be @gmail. you are trying to authenticate with the email address sender@gmail.com@gmail.com. Use 587 TLS with authentication.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#11 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have tried that too

i don't think the problem is authentication, whatever value I input the error is the connection to the server. I guess it would have been an authenticatio error or userid / password error if the cam had logged in with the wrong credentials

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

Do you have a POP3 client set for gmail? if not try like Thunderbird and set up a pop3 account for your gmail and see if it works. If it works then you know it's the camera being stupid because it's going through the same network as the email client. If it doesn't work then something is not right with your network. And webmail is different than an email client on your PC.

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en , click on POP and then Thunderbird or whatever you want. will walk you right through it.

#13 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

yes, I have the NAS that sends me errors through the same email address/server, so it works

will try that also, thanks

#14 roby70

roby70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

just an update

thank you all guys, after struggling and trying I decided to return the camera and get a new one

#15 GMACII

GMACII

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

Hey all - seeking help re: SRICAM 720p E-mail Notifications

I am finding it impossible to set up the e-mail notifications on my Iphone...I have opened a Gmail Account - followed some of the below posts re SMTP Set yp etc but without success...

Is there anyone out there who could help me set this up as it is highly frustrating...

I work with a few Tech people and even they do not understand it..

Thanks, Gmac

Hey all - seeking help re: SRICAM 720p E-mail Notifications

I am finding it impossible to set up the e-mail notifications on my Iphone...I have opened a Gmail Account - followed some of the below posts re SMTP Set yp etc but without success...

Is there anyone out there who could help me set this up as it is highly frustrating...

I work with a few Tech people and even they do not understand it..

Thanks, Gmac

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users