Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toggle switch as power button

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 T1960CT

T1960CT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:37 AM

Is it possible to wire a toggle switch as the power on for a motherboard?
The switch I was thinking of using has 4 prongs (I am assuming that's 2x 2 prongs) I got it off an onld IBM computer.

How would I hook this up to a modern motherboard? (MSI Z77A-G41 motherboard)
Is it possible without using a hundred different connectors to short it or something like that?

-T1960CT

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

It could be done, but it would be something of a nuisance - the toggle would need to be engaged then released each time, so your "on" action would be "on-off". That's because a normal soft power switch is momentary action, and to duplicate that the toggle would need to be turned on then immediately off again.The two wires that normally connect to the push switch would need to be connected to two of the terminals on one side, i.e. one side facing tab and one front facing one. It wouldn't matter which set, or which way around the wires connected.

Edited by Platypus, 16 November 2014 - 05:37 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

If you have a real need to make this modification you would be better using a spring loaded push button switch - push 'on', release 'off' - similar to the way the button for a doorbell works. Panel mounted bush button switches are readily available and not expensive.

You only need a single pole switch, ie one with only two connectors, and the power rating is not important. what you are switching will not over stress any available switch. The third switch up from the botttom on this page is the sort that would do very well. The page is from a UK supplier but you will find similar switches anywhere.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components/switches#Category:Push%20Switches&sort=&page=2&productsPerPage=12

Chris Cosgrove

That link only takes you to the main switch page !  You need the second page, then it's third up.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 November 2014 - 07:23 AM.
Correction

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users