Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Phone Port to Ethernet Port

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 yahoowizard

yahoowizard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:03 AM

So I have CAT 5e+ ports around the house, they're the size of ethernet ports but in the panel of my house, they're connected to the telephone lines. I'm trying to undo that perhaps but I'm not even sure what to look at or how to fix it. Here's what I see in the panel. Even if I can find the name of this system, I can look around for how to change it, but I'm not too sure what to make of it. Here's what it looks like:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Pj5Gp--5hN4/VGfdVUmwh9I/AAAAAAAAdwk/pIsPm25l5D0/w000-h000-no/IMG_20141115_151003.jpg

Thanks,

Yahoo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

Undo it to do what?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

It would appear you have home runs from each room to this location.  You would want to get a network patch panel and with the proper punch downs at each end you can turn these runs into network ports.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7299&kpid=7299&CAWELAID=1329454546&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013720000062195&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_D2NLkIa_SZOccFNT6z--Bmucp78H-Jb7iK3-PQ-4u4aAhbt8P8HAQ

#4 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

It would appear you have home runs from each room to this location.  You would want to get a network patch panel and with the proper punch downs at each end you can turn these runs into network ports.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7299&kpid=7299&CAWELAID=1329454546&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013720000062195&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_D2NLkIa_SZOccFNT6z--Bmucp78H-Jb7iK3-PQ-4u4aAhbt8P8HAQ

Oh, okay. I think all I want to really do is to just remove the port that's in my room from the phone line, and turn it into a free ethernet cord so I can connect it to another port using a switch. Thanks for your help, I'll go look up what the words in your comment mean, and see if I can figure this out.

Undo it to do what?

So, I have a port in my room. The port is wired into the telephone line, and also connected to every other port in the house. I want to remove just my port from that telephone line so I can use it for ethernet upstairs instead.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Most telephone line installations are done in series which means one wire hits all telephone outlets.  Network line installations are home runs which mean a single cable from point A to point B.

You might want to clarify what you mean by "use it for Ethernet upstairs".  One line doesn't make a network.

#6 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Most telephone line installations are done in series which means one wire hits all telephone outlets.  Network line installations are home runs which mean a single cable from point A to point B.

You might want to clarify what you mean by "use it for Ethernet upstairs".  One line doesn't make a network.

Ok, let me be a lot more specific, I'm sorry.

So there are three blue ethernet/CAT5 ports in my house. I call them blue ports, because they're actually blue. One port is near the router, and the other two are somewhere else in the house, NOT in my room. Those blue ports in the panel are not connected to anything, all three are loosely hanging inside the panel, I can connect them all together if I wanted to, via a switch (I think).

There are also white CAT5 ports in every room in the house, and they're all connected together via telephone block or punch down block or whatever, in the same panel.

What I'm thinking, if possible, is just to separate the one that comes from my room, and make that a free ethernet cord as well. If I do that, I can probably add a switch, connect the free blue wire that's next to the router and the one from my room together, and make the connection. 

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

Those blue cables have rj45 jack ends or just end.  Normally these would all terminate in a patch panel.  From the patch panel you would use patch cords to go to the ports in a switch.  Or you can put rj45 ends on and plug directly to a switch.

#8 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Those blue cables have rj45 jack ends or just end.  Normally these would all terminate in a patch panel.  From the patch panel you would use patch cords to go to the ports in a switch.  Or you can put rj45 ends on and plug directly to a switch.

rj45 jack ends. If I wanted to make a switch between those 3 cables, I'd need to buy a switch and nothing else to connected them together. 

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yep you just need a switch.

#10 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yep you just need a switch.

All I want to really do is detach my room's port thing, without messing up any other room and their telephone cables since we're using one of them. I think I might just hire someone who knows something since I can't figure out how to remove this properly:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_S1va4Gq5X4/VGud2qzgc-I/AAAAAAAAd6w/07T3cCtHU-k/w000-h000-no/IMG_20141118_112759.jpg

I really hope I don't have to remove the blue and white wire and put them back in:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4gq2Z9syHjY/VGud1YUW1gI/AAAAAAAAd6k/A-j0kuU90RU/w000-h000-no/IMG_20141118_112739.jpg

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Reading through this I was coming down to reply I think this is a bit out of what we online can do to help. I think finding someone that knows what they're doing and can test the wires so the right ones get disconnected and/or connected to get you networked. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Reading through this I was coming down to reply I think this is a bit out of what we online can do to help. I think finding someone that knows what they're doing and can test the wires so the right ones get disconnected and/or connected to get you networked. 

Any idea how much they'd charge? Also would I be able to get Time Warner to fix it up or do I get someone random who knows this wiring stuff?

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

You would need a low level electrical tech/contractor to do the wiring.  This is the best way for you or consider getting some powerline network adapters instead.

You wouldn't pull blue and white wires.  You would cut the cable completely and wire a new rj45 end on it.  You must have the twists for the wiring to work as a network cable.  You can't retwist the untwisted wiring.

#14 yahoowizard

yahoowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

You would need a low level electrical tech/contractor to do the wiring.  This is the best way for you or consider getting some powerline network adapters instead.

You wouldn't pull blue and white wires.  You would cut the cable completely and wire a new rj45 end on it.  You must have the twists for the wiring to work as a network cable.  You can't retwist the untwisted wiring.

Ok, thank you very much. I've tried powerline and it worked horribly. Possibly because there was too much interference since the router is next to the TV and all our other appliances that are being powered there.

#15 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

What you have is Cat5 cable from each room punched down to what is called a 110 punch block. The white and blue single wire cables running back and forth over the top of the punched down wires are your phone line feeds to the wires to each room. Your house is wired for 3 phone lines (they may not all be used), one for each pair of the blue and white wires. The Cat5 cables have four pairs of wire, blue and blue/white, orange and orange/white, green and green/white, and brown and brown/white. You will see on the 110 block that the tops of certain posts between wires are colored blue, orange, green, and brown. For each pair, the white wire with the color stripe goes above the colored post, the solid color wire goes below. A set of 8 wire slots surrounding 4 posts starting from blue at the top to brown at the bottom makes up one wire set. Whoever initially installed your wiring did a nice job terminating the cables to the rooms so they probably fully meet the Cat5 standard up to the punch block.

To remove your room jack from the phone line carefully lift the blue and white/blue wires crisscrossing the jacks from the posts labelled for your room, leaving them connected to all of the other posts. A small crochet hook or similar can help lift the wires out. Carefully bend them out of the way.

To make your new connection easily order one of these: http://www.showmecables.com/product/3-FT-110-Style-to-RJ45-Patch-Cable-568B-Cat5e.aspx?utm_source=shopping+com&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ICPCSB03BL&utm_content=ICC&utm_term=Telephone_110+Patch+Cables&zmam=49733141&zmas=1&zmac=10&zmap=ICPCSB03BL

The flat end of this cable will push (hard!) over the pins for your room making a connection with the wires at the 110 block. Make sure the blue wires in the flat connector are on top. There should be a noticeable snap when the connector clicks in place. You may have to "thump" on it pretty hard. The other end goes into your switch. 

An alternative would be to punch down a cable where the blue and white cables were removed and terminate it on an RJ45 jack, but that would require a punchdown tool and crimper that you probably don't have (a little knowledge and experience wouldn't hurt either).

You can probably find a professional or possibly an experienced friend to help you out if need be, but my company would charge you about $80 for me to drop in and spend less than 10 minutes to set you up. For that you can buy the cable and the switch to connect it all together and have a pizza to celebrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users