Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent Help Required

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to help a friend in trouble. Her comp was freezing up all the time so we've deleted a lot of games etc that her son had installed on the notebook and now I'm trying to connect through "Remote Assistance" but every time she tries to invite me she just gets "Page Not Found". We are chatting on Messenger so she is connected to the net and she tells me the comp is much faster now since we uninstalled all the games and other programs her budding "Mr Gates" son had installed.
I've also tried to see if she is logged on as "Administrator" in >control panel > user accounts> and this displays a blank page also.

Has any body got any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers ...Jack
JTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hi Jack.
Tell your friend to click start>run and re-register the following files in order.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

This should bring back the entries in the user accounts applets.
She should see a "successful" confirmation after each. If she doesn't, the file is missing or damaged.
Just for grins, ctrl+alt+del>users tab. What's that say?
With remote assistance, XP sp2's firewall blocks it by default.
If you need it, here's the exceptions required to the Windows Firewall configuration.
If she's using some other firewall and\or online protective software (Anti-virus, Spyware detection, etc), have her disable that stuff.

Edited by HitSquad, 16 June 2006 - 09:50 AM.

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Hi HitSquad

Thanks for your reply.

To re-register those files does she just copy each one into the run box and then press ok - will that re-register them?
Also with the reomte assist; wouldn't it be easier just to turn off the firewall for the time being till we've finished ?

Thanks

Jack
JTH

#4 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

To answer for Hitsquad (If He/She doesnt mind)

Yes, just copy the regsvr etc commands into the run box and press enter. You will get a message saying

'xxxx.dll' sucessfully registered for each one of them. And yes you can just disable the firewall to get everything working.

Bear in mind remote assistance sometimes has problems getting past firewalls/Routers if one or both of you has one.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Try DJLizard's Dial-A-Fix. It will re-register files from a graphical interface. Here's the link (it's free): http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Mr Smooth & usasma,

Thanks for you replys guys,

I will give it a shot this evening and get back to you.

Thanks again

Jack
JTH

#7 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:02 AM

Hi Guys,

My friend found her XP disc, so we decided to go the whole hog and do a fresh install. Everything back to normal now.

usasma - thanks for the link to dial-a-fix. That's been bookmarked. I'm sure it will be helpful in time to come - lots to read and not enough time to read it in :-)

Cheers

Jack
JTH

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

Well, that's one way to do it. :thumbsup:
There are alternatives to Windows remote assistance as well.
I use TightVNC as sometimes I need to connect to older 9X systems, works well for me.

Edited by HitSquad, 18 June 2006 - 07:14 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

I've had good success with http://www.logmein.com when Remote Assistance doesn't work.

It's a pain to find the free version, but once you do it works like a charm!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users