Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get monitor signal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thfchayden

thfchayden

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

I cannot get a signal on my monitor, I have been trying for hours on end. Almost 24 hours.

Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case
BenQ RL2455HM 24in LED Gaming Monitor
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Keyboard
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Antec EA-650 Platinum Power Supply
MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB
Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Black
AMD A10 6800K 4-Core Processor 
MSI A88X G45 Gaming Motherboard

That is my build. I have tried resetting the CMOS, taking the circle/battery thing out and putting it back in, tried my brothers monitor, tried plugging it into the mobo instead of the gpu, tried taking the gpu out, tried HDMI, D-SUB and DVI-D, tried changing the input on the monitor to all three of those. I have tried unplugging the ram and booting, unplugging the ram, hdd and gpu and booting, nothing. I am 99% I have everything plugged in correctly - have checked several times and taken everything out and put them back in. Everything inside the computer lights up/works etc, just the damn monitor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teh_charles

teh_charles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hi thfchayden,

Is this a brand new build or something that worked for a while and then stopped working?

When you say:

Everything inside the computer lights up/works

How do you know that the system is booting and just not showing anything on the monitor vs. a silent no-POST scenario? Do you hear any beeps? Do the fans spin up at high speed at first and then slow down after several seconds? Another good indicator, although not always 100% reliable is to try pressing the numlock or capslock keys on the keyboard to see if the corresponding lights on the keyboard toggle on and off appropriately. If they do then it is a sure sign that the system has initialized the keyboard, which is at a sufficient point in the start up process that we know the system is going through POST okay. If the lights do not toggle then we look more closely at causes for POST failure.

#3 thfchayden

thfchayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hi thfchayden,

Is this a brand new build or something that worked for a while and then stopped working?

When you say:

Everything inside the computer lights up/works

How do you know that the system is booting and just not showing anything on the monitor vs. a silent no-POST scenario? Do you hear any beeps? Do the fans spin up at high speed at first and then slow down after several seconds? Another good indicator, although not always 100% reliable is to try pressing the numlock or capslock keys on the keyboard to see if the corresponding lights on the keyboard toggle on and off appropriately. If they do then it is a sure sign that the system has initialized the keyboard, which is at a sufficient point in the start up process that we know the system is going through POST okay. If the lights do not toggle then we look more closely at causes for POST failure.

It's a brand new build, everything is brand new including the monitor itself. The fans all spin at a good, consistent rate and the lights inside light up. I don't know how I can tell if it beeps or not as I have no speakers? The keyboard lights all come on however I have not tried pressing numlock/capslock keys.

Edited by thfchayden, 16 November 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#4 teh_charles

teh_charles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yes, try the numlock, capslock thing and let me know what happens.

You probably won't hear any beeps. Some motherboards have a buzzer/speaker built-in and some rely on the chassis to provide a speaker, which you would plug into the front panel header on the motherboard. With your configuration, as near as I can tell from manuals, neither your chassis nor the motherboard have a speaker. You can order one and plug it in. (Might be a good idea for troubleshooting future problems) but we'll move on without it right now.

That motherboard has a numeric LED readout on it right next to the CMOS battery. When you power it on, it should cycle through codes very quickly until it stops at one code, which might help indicate where in the boot process it is having trouble or if it is booting successfully. Can you tell me what that code is?

By the way, while we are troubleshooting, let's make sure we're only dealing with the bare minimum components. You only need:

• Case
  • Power supply
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Only 1 RAM module
  • Keyboard
  • Monitor

No video card

No wifi card

No mouse, external hard drives or other peripherals.

The only things plugged into the back should be power, keyboard, and monitor.

Let me know where that leads you.

#5 thfchayden

thfchayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yes, try the numlock, capslock thing and let me know what happens.

You probably won't hear any beeps. Some motherboards have a buzzer/speaker built-in and some rely on the chassis to provide a speaker, which you would plug into the front panel header on the motherboard. With your configuration, as near as I can tell from manuals, neither your chassis nor the motherboard have a speaker. You can order one and plug it in. (Might be a good idea for troubleshooting future problems) but we'll move on without it right now.

That motherboard has a numeric LED readout on it right next to the CMOS battery. When you power it on, it should cycle through codes very quickly until it stops at one code, which might help indicate where in the boot process it is having trouble or if it is booting successfully. Can you tell me what that code is?

By the way, while we are troubleshooting, let's make sure we're only dealing with the bare minimum components. You only need:

• Case
  • Power supply
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Only 1 RAM module
  • Keyboard
  • Monitor

No video card

No wifi card

No mouse, external hard drives or other peripherals.

The only things plugged into the back should be power, keyboard, and monitor.

Let me know where that leads you.

I have tried the nums/caps lock, didn't work. Both lights remain on despite pressing them several times. I see what you mean about the little numbers on the motherboard, however they don't go to any number at all nor do they quickly scroll through a lot of numbers. It simply has no numbers.

Edited by thfchayden, 16 November 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#6 thfchayden

thfchayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

I took it to a computer store today and he said I need a 1000w power supply. My 650w isn't enough for my build as my GPU alone takes 750w. Is he right?

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

If you take the video card out and try the onboard video (as charles is suggesting), what the store guy says doesn't matter. You definitely don't need 1000w when you don't have the video card in.

#8 thfchayden

thfchayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

If you take the video card out and try the onboard video (as charles is suggesting), what the store guy says doesn't matter. You definitely don't need 1000w when you don't have the video card in.

Yeah that's what I thought. The fact that the led numbers aren't coming on at all suggests to me it's something I haven't plugged in properly, but the guy at the store said everything seems to be plugged in right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users