Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer reboots over and over

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BertPeace13

BertPeace13

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hello lads.

I don't know if this post belongs here, because trouble began when I had Windows XP but keeps happening now that I have Seven Ultimate, so if it doesn't, please place it where it fits so I can get some help.

My computer began rebooting on its own about a month ago, at first just a couple of times when I was already inside Windows, surfing the web or working on some file, but as time went by the problem grew worse, with constant rebootings which a lot of times happened just after startup, when system info was on the screen and Windows hadn't even started. A couple of times the computer spent around 10 minutes rebooting every 5 or 10 seconds while it tried to get to the Windows startup screen (one about an hour ago).  

At first I thought it was virus-related, so I decided to backup and format the Hard Disk, looking for a radical and definitive solution. However, now that I installed Windows 7, Office 2010 and Kaspersky IS 2015, and after I finally reinstalled the backup, with Kaspersky's full scan detecting and taking care of only one trojan, the pattern is still the same. For around 7 hours the computer worked just fine while I was reinstalling other software like Chrome, EPUB and MOBI readers, etc., but now it's just rebooting like crazy.

I have already de-selected the Control Panel option for automatic reboot upon error detection, but no error message has been displayed before or after subsequent restarts; Windows automatic reboots after installing updates are already off, too. I also ran several diagnostics from the tools in the Control Panel, which showed no trouble, but twice I tried with the memory check and on both occasions I ended up with reboots before the analysis were complete.

Don't think it's my Internet signal either, because I'm writing from another computer connected to the same hub, and have suffered no instability at all. However, I wonder if among other causes, my IP could be compromised, leading to remote attacks, given that I spent almost 5 years without antivirus software. I don't have that valuable info on the HD, though (except for my ebooks and my tax reports).

Finally, I have a 6-7 year old custom PC with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and a 40GB HD; all fans seem to be working correctly. No UPS, only a MINUTEMAN surge protector. 

PLEASE HELP ME.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 07:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grifmang

grifmang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:26 AM

Have you tried isolating RAM chips? A lot of time random startup reboots have to do with faulty RAM.

You may want to try that.

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

RAM or the other might be Trojans try scanning malwarebytes anti malware to scan your pc 

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#4 BertPeace13

BertPeace13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

RAM or the other might be Trojans try scanning malwarebytes anti malware to scan your pc 

Can I still have virus trouble? Just formatted the HD, together with the backup installed Kaspersky IS 2015 afterwards, and two full scans showed just one trojan, and took care of a couple of system weaknesses. I tried a third scan yesterday twice, but on both occasions the thing rebooted right in the middle of them.

#5 BertPeace13

BertPeace13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Have you tried isolating RAM chips? A lot of time random startup reboots have to do with faulty RAM.

You may want to try that.

How do I do this? Besides, PC takes about 5 or 6 minutes between reboots at the most and when in a happy mood  :angry:. That doesn't give me much time to do anything. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users