Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hmmm...computer To Television?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 buffbiff21

buffbiff21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:08 AM

Is it possible to hook up a computer to a television without risking anything?

If so, how would i do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

Hi buffbiff21.
Sure you can but you need to do a little homework first.
No.1, You're video card needs to support TV Out. Most cards that do now-a-days use the S-Video style jack.
Your TV will need the same S-Video input jack. If your television has the old style RCA type inputs, you can buy an S-Video to RCA type adaptor. Also check the audio inputs on your television.
These are the basics but we need some more info from you as far as what you're intended use will be.
Are you just going to use your televison as just a giant monitor?
Do you want TV Capture ability?
Is your audio going through an amplifier\receiver rather then directly hooked up to the tv?
Lots of variables and ways to go. :thumbsup:

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

Yes I had the same question, I would be using it as a monitor (I have a 19" LCD television). Would it work alright for games and such?

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

Depends on what kind of resolution that tv has...

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

Resolution and refresh rates.

What inputs are available on this TV?

#6 buffbiff21

buffbiff21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

Ah, yes right, my tv!

Its a relatively new (few years) tv, 27" LCD Sony trinitron with plenty of a/v inputs, i DO have an S-video input + cable and it is used with my DVD Player.

I basically intend to use it as a large monitor, becasue for the audio i will be using a Y-cable to connect to my home theater receiver.

The reason i originally asked (comp to TV) is becasue i intend to buy a new computer soon, and i dont want to have to buy a good monitor when i can use my TV.

Lastly then, what should i look for in a video card when buying my new computer?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Your TV may or may not have been manufactured to be capable of being a computer monitor. Some are and some aren't.

Look up the specs for your specific TV at Sony Support and see if it can be used as a monitor.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

I hooked up my dad's laptop to my '97 Toshiba CRT TV with no problem. I didn't know that TV's had to be specifically made for use as monitors. hmm... might do some research on that.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

There are numerous differences between a TV and a monitor designed for computer use, in fact, there are even numerous differences in what one monitor may be designed to do and what another may be capable of doing.

That's why you can buy a 19" or 20" LCD for less than $200 or almost $1000.
They are obviously not the same.

The differences in what they are capable of doing becomes even more critical when used for gaming.

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

I didn't know that TV's had to be specifically made for use as monitors.

They don't. :thumbsup:
When I said "giant monitor", I meant for viewing multimedia such as dvd's, svcd's, etc. I guess I should have been more "specific".
The application used to create these control the formatting for use on a television and display just fine.
Native television resolution isn't a factor when it's used for this.
If you want to get right down to it, aspect ratio is slightly different from a TV then that of a computer monitor as well. Work applications like spreadsheets, etc, display poorly on a television screen not only due to simply resolution, but aspect ratio and formatting as well.
Bottom line here is really what the individual has in mind as far as "multimedia" capabilities is concerned.
It was a very "general" question.

#11 buffbiff21

buffbiff21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:43 AM

First off, everyone thanks for the help.

I didn't know that TV's had to be specifically made for use as monitors.

They don't. :thumbsup:
When I said "giant monitor", I meant for viewing multimedia such as dvd's, svcd's, etc. I guess I should have been more "specific".
The application used to create these control the formatting for use on a television and display just fine.
Native television resolution isn't a factor when it's used for this.
If you want to get right down to it, aspect ratio is slightly different from a TV then that of a computer monitor as well. Work applications like spreadsheets, etc, display poorly on a television screen not only due to simply resolution, but aspect ratio and formatting as well.
Bottom line here is really what the individual has in mind as far as "multimedia" capabilities is concerned.
It was a very "general" question.

Correct, I read my other posts, i think its me that needs to be more specific.

I intended to ask if i could use my television exactly as a monitor, meaning it serves every purpose as a monitor. Such as, controlling applications, using the/displaying the desktop and such, and being able to watch media and play games.

At the very least i hope to be able to watch movies on my tv!

And ive been shopping around, most of the graphics cards to have a form of TV-out, but i still need to make sure my TV will support it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users