Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help removing a large group of shortcuts from my Puppy Precise's Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

I've accidentally placed (by dragging) a group of hundreds of shortcuts onto my desktop. So many that it's actually slowing down my bootup.

I'd like to remove these but not one at a time.

1. Is there a way to group many of these 'shortcuts' together and remove them? (If I right click it offers -Remove Item(s).

2. Is there a folder that contains the items shown on the Desktop that I can access and work with?

Thanks

Puppy Precise 5.7.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

I've accidentally placed (by dragging) a group of hundreds of shortcuts onto my desktop

When you did this, Did you select copy here or move  option, If you moved them, not copied them, then if you delete them, I think they are all gone and that may and I say may cause problems.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

There was no Move or Copy prompt. It just dragged a new icon onto the Desktop and left the original file in it's original location. When I check the location of one of the icons on the Desktop it appears to be in it's original folder. A Pfind search only shows the file being located in it's original location.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hey B sorry for the delay I had to make sure you are not deleting anything but symlinks.

Hold the Ctrl key and left click them all, one by one. Then right-click one and click "remove items(s)"  Kinda like in Windows.

I've accidentally placed (by dragging) a group of hundreds of shortcuts onto my desktop

:hysterical:

Been there done that only it wasn't just symlinks.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 November 2014 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users