Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Excel 2007 gridlines have disappeared

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

I am working on an Excel 2007 spreadsheet and some of the gridlines have disappeared.  When I go to Font and click on No Fill, nothing happens. I was told that sometimes the grid gets whited out but obviously, that wasn't the case here.

I have seen the same thing happen last year using Excel 2000 and for the life of me, I couldn't find a way to restore the gray gridlines.

In both case, only some gridlines have disappeared. i see gridlines checked so that's not the problem.

I also find navigating the ribbon is a nightmare and have to do a Google search to find each entry. I wish they left the format of this program the way it was in Excel 2000 as it as way more intuitive. 

Now I can use the spreadsheet as all other functions work but it's extremely frustrating that I can't find a way to restore those gridlines.

I know I can add them as borders but they are darker and that isn't really getting to the root of the problem. At this point, I'm more curious than inconvenienced as I hate having unsolved riddles.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, 

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

You may have added white borders to those cells, which would make them look like they have no gridlines.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

I didn't add any borders that I'm aware of. What do I do to restore the gridlines. I just went to the spreadsheet was using, clicked on a cell and then went to the font group, clicked on borders and then No borders but nothing had changed. The gridlines in certain random cells seem to have disappeared.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:19 AM

Press Ctrl+A to select all cells. Then click Ctrl+1 to open Format Cells. Click the Border tab, then select "None" under the presets and click OK.

Then click Ctrl+1 to open Format Cells again. Click the Fill tab, then click "No Color" then OK.

See if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, that worked. I guess I somehow added a border or a fill to those cells. I have no idea how but your solution worked.  I've seen this also in Excel 2000 and didn't understand what was going on.

Appreciate the help,

#6 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I did notice that I had some cells that were shaded green that lost their shading during this process. Can I do the same procedure with selected cells instead of the whole page?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

Yes just select the cells that have no gridlines rather than Ctrl+A.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users