Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password not recognized

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tarzan2

tarzan2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

I am able to log in and operate the computer  without a password, I am able to change or remove a password  via the control panel " Users", but I cannot change account type or grant permission to load any  program as I get the message "unkown user or bad password".when I try to enter a password at the "user account window"    I tried granting all users with administrative priveleges via the command prompt but I get the same results.  I have used the computer extensively before this occurrence..  I assume it may be a corrupted file. Any help would be apprciated  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

I shoudl add that the computer recongizes the password for "log in", but after loging in, it is not recognized.  I also cannot change any accont settings as the password or user is not recognized.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Do you get the same problem when you create a new user? The user profile may be corrupted.

#4 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

I cannot create a new user nor do a restore as windows asks for a password.  I am only able to delete or change a password or picture in the "user settings window"

#5 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

Further with respect to the computer actions, I should also mentioned that I only have one user account set up as a "standard account" , As mentioned, I can change the account picture w/o a "user account window" asking for permisson via Users in the control panel.  But interestingly, when afterwards I try to manage other aspects of the account, the "user account window" shows the old picture and not the revised picture shown in the control pane window.l.  Accordingly, the computer is not recognizing the changes made via the control panel.  Any further ideas other than reloading the OS,

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,931 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

Try enabling the hidden Administrator Account (superuser). This is like root in linux. Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and type the following

net user administrator /active:yes   <enter>

log out of your current account. You should see the Administrator Account. If not reboot the computer. Log into this account to change your passwords or create a new user account. After you finish disable the account by typing

net user administrator /active:no   <enter>

#7 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

i tried that earlier and again at your suggestion.  The command was accepted but when the comptuer restarts it shows my former log in picture with my name as a Standard user.  When I after try to access the account features, I get the same rquest for a password at an account user winddow.  I try entering my old password, changing my password and the like, but the computer stil does not recognie the password, orr.  I am tempted to believe the issue is not so such as the PW but the falure to recognize a user with the password.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,931 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

After enabling the hidden Administrator Account and the command accepted, there is not Administrator account shown at boot?

What is the output when you type this command. Same procedure as before. CMD > Right Click > Run as Administrator

net user administrator  <enter>

#9 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

The pertinent details are:

User name administrator

Built in account

account active - NO  Never expires

PW last set 2006, never expires, required, user may change

Last logon 2007

Local group membership  administrator, home users

Command successful

I do not know what to make of this, (ie last logon 2007)  but thanks for the suggestion,

#10 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

I failed to meniton thate there was not an administrator shown at boot

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,931 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I am not sure why that is. The output shows that the administrator account is not active. Try the following. At an elevated command prompt (Right click run as Administrator) type

net user administrator *  <enter>

This will prompt for a password. Press Enter without supplying a password.

then type

net user administrator /active:yes   <enter>

If the above does not work to display the hidden administrator account, you can change your own password doing the same command.

net user <youraccountname> *    <enter>

When prompted, press enter which should clear your password.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#12 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

If I right click on the CMD.exe command line, and run as an administrator, it asks for a PW and will not allow me to continue w/o inserting a pw. I tried "net account user" Name - it reconized by name and gave particulars indicating I have right to change PW.  After, I was still received the window account window asking for a PW.  As mentioned, I can clear and change the PW at USers in the control panel but it does not effect what is required to contineu in the Windows Account Dialogue box and no matter what pw I choose in the control panel, it is not subsequently recognized in the Windows account window or box.  It is a mystery. 

I really appreciate the help, and I do not like to leave matters unsettled, but I have to leave now.  Thank you very much.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,931 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:13 PM

On a parting note try this software. Here is a guide for enabling the administrator account.

#14 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just curious, there was no mention of trying anything in safe mode.

Does the Admin acct appear when you boot into safe mode?

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#15 tarzan2

tarzan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Thak you all for your helpful comments.  As to the recommended software, to run the software,  I need computer permission and and  I cannot give permission since the computer does not recognize either the user, or password required to do so..  Yes, I tried giving commands in the safe mode.

To repeat where I am:

My account is set up as a standard account w/o a password.

I can boot up the computer w/o a problem

I can effectively change or delete a pw

I cannot change or add an account, or change an account setting via Users in the Control panel as a popup  "user account" window does not accept my pw.

In safe mode or via cmd.exe,, the computer recognizes my account and password settings.(ie net user account name cmd)

In safe mode or via command, the computer reconsizes the administrator as a built in administrator with a password,  It states that the last time the computer was logged on was in 2007, which is probably the first time I booted up the computer. (ie net user administrator cmd)

When I enter the command " net user administrtor /active:yes", I get 3 lines syntax  that have no meaning to me. In any event, it  does not change my standard account to an administor acct nor add an administrator account..

The problem appears to be that the computer recognizes my account for log in purposes, allows me to change the password,  but does not allow me to run the computer as an administrator, nor change an admistrator. I do not think it is solely a pw issue.   Some event happened today to cause this, and I am at a loss to explain it - except perhaps for a corrupt file or register issue.  I looked at the event log and nothing stands out that explains it. 

The easiest way to correct the problem appears to be to reload the OS - assuming this witll do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users