Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard or Keyboard driver problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kosh75287

Kosh75287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

I got my computer virused-up and unvirused thanks to the services of MBAM, and too any others to name.

In the process, something's changed with my keyboard. There's a problem with my space bar. When I tap the space bar to separate one word from the next, the cursor doesn't move. When I type the following word, the space appears between the first and second letters of that word.

The droll sentence, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog." would appear as:

"Theq uickr edf oxj umpedo vert hel azyb rownd og ."

I can create a space between words by placing the cursor where the space should be, tapping the space bar and tapping the --> arrow key. While this creates a space, it sends the cursor rapidly across the screen, as though I am holding down the space bar.

I can stop its progress by tapping the backspace button, or a button corresponding to a letter.

Other than this, the arrow keys are either non-functional, or work as usual. The page-up/page-down buttons work as expected.

Because of the uniformity of this dysfunction, I'm inclined to believe that it's a systemic thing, not a mechanical error with the keyboard.

Because I had to wipe the drive to get it unvirused, my "restore point" is gone. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Windows 7, uninstallling and reinstalling the keyboard driver(s), and updating them. Apparently, I have the most up-to-date iteration of drivers available for Windows 7, already.

Before I turn this thing into a very expensive, aerodynamically unlikely clay pigeon, could someone please tell me how to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Did you try a different keyboard?

What type keyboard do you have...and where did you get the drivers for it ?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Kosh75287

Kosh75287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

The computer is a refurbed Dell E4200 Latitude laptop. I have no idea of the type of keyboard that is integral with the computer. I haven't obtained an external one to try on it, yet. The drivers are the ones which came with it (I assume), If these were changed in the process of the refurb, I'M not aware of it. I don't know how to answer more specifically than this. If someone will tell me what to do, to look on the computer and find out what type of anything I have, I'll CHEERFULLY do it. I'm just not the most skilled when it comes to making troublesome computers less troublesome (aside from turning them into moving targets, which is expensive amelioration).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Try an external, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users