Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access Time Warner webmail link

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sysadmin74

sysadmin74

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm trying to help a family member access their Time Warner webmail account remotely.  Accessing their webmail from the PC they normally use as well as from mine works (these 2 PCs are in different physical locations with different ISPs).  At the 3rd physical location from a 3rd different PC, with a different ISP than the one used in the other 2 locations, we can click on the link for Webmail from Time Warner's website but it doesn't display the page to put your username and password in.  We've been working with adjusting settings within Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 on the problem PC to no avail.  We've even disabled it completely and it doesn't work.  The problem PC is running Windows 8.  Access to all other websites works except for access to Time Warner webmail.  I would be open to any suggestions for resolving this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

What browser is being used? Name and version being used on the computer that isn't connecting to webmail.

Tried a different browser?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 November 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#3 sysadmin74

sysadmin74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yes, we've tried Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.  None of the browsers allows access to webmail.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

I had an idea if the issue was related to only one browser but since multiple browsers don't work it would be useless of me to state my idea.

Someone here at Bleeping Computer may be able to help you IF he/she also has Time-Warner.

You or your relative can try posting at their help forum here http://forums.timewarnercable.com/

If you want to post there, sign in requires a Time Warner user name and password. If you are not a TW customer you will not be able to sign in.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 November 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

At the 3rd physical location from a 3rd different PC, with a different ISP than the one used in the other 2 locations,

Who is this different ISP?  They could be blocking access to a competing mail server.  I'd suggest a call to the ISP. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

With webmail blocked access to the mail server should not be an issue. Webmail is a webpage, which you should be able to reach no matter where you are.

Issues of this type are usually seen when an email client is used. If connected to a different ISP you would have to configure the client and Time Warner email to work with the other ISP network.

However, anything is possible so calling your ISP is an option.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

I worded that poorly QE.  The third party ISP could be blocking access to the webpage.  For example, when I was at work, the corporate network blocked access to all external email sources (including webmail pages), allowing only access to the corporate Outlook server. 

So I think it is still a possibility worth looking at. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 sysadmin74

sysadmin74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thank you all for the input.  My brother did contact Comcast yesterday and they reset the signal on their end, which didn't help.  Comcast and Time Warner aren't aware of any other issues causing this, or so they say.  I don't know of anything else to try at this point, and I'd like to close this topic.  Thank you all again for your input.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

I am kind of late but have you tried using OpenDNS servers on the problem PC?

#10 sysadmin74

sysadmin74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

I haven't tried using OpenDNS servers on the problem PC.  However, I'll definitely look into using it if there are further problems.  Comcast, which is the ISP for the PC we're having the issues with, informed us that DNS isn't resolving correctly on Time Warner's end.  I'll look into this with Time Warner and use OpenDNS if future problems occur.  Thank you all for the advice and assistance with this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users