Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy To... Move To... Using The "right Click Menu"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

Hello,

I was lurking in this forum, and didn't see this anywhere as far as I could tell. It is not really a secret, but maybe it is more like one of those lesser known additions to the Context Menu menu a.k.a the Right-Click menu that in my opinion deserves to be there by default.

I am talking about the Copy To... and Move To... commands. They can be found in the File and Folder Tasks pane normally found at the left side of an instance of Windows Explorer, or optionally placed in the toolbar at the top of the window of Windows Explorer.

Personally, I find it to be much more usefull to have these options available via Right-Click, and here is how it is done:

1. Open Notepad. Click Start --> Run --> type notepad --> press Enter or click OK

2. Copy and Paste the following code into the open instance of Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

3. Click File --> Save As... --> change Save as type: to All Files --> name the file copytomoveto.reg --> Save the file to your Desktop.

4. If still open, close the file. Now find the copytomoveto.reg file you saved to your Desktop, and Double-Click it.

5. A box labled Registry Editor will appear and ask if you want to add the information to the registry. If you do, Click Yes.

To Remove Copy To... Move To... from the Right-Click menu

If you decide you don't like the addition, follow the steps from above, but make a new .reg file named copytomovetoundo.reg, with the following Copied and Pasted into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Thats it, file management, via Right-Click, but remember, this makes changes to the registry, so I recommend creating a system restore point before proceeding. Better safe than sorry.

nos :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: A word of caution:
When dealing with the registry, ALWAYS create a backup first!
One false move in editing of the registry could render one's system inoperable!

Edited by Scarlett, 03 August 2006 - 12:44 PM.

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:25 AM

Wow thanks, now that is useful :thumbsup:
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 prakash2119

prakash2119

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

U can also use sendto to copy files ,just create a shortcut of all drives or single folder where u want to copy the files and now plave the created shortcut folder or drive in C:\WINDOWS\SendTo..

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

Amazing! Is there any way to add locations to the Move To... menu?
Such as the Send To menu has, I want to be able to put presets in the Copy To and Move To Menus.

If it's not possible, thanks anyway for this great tweak. Why does Microsoft disable this by defaut??

Posted Image

#5 Blink10001

Blink10001

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

There are several programs to do this without resorting to manually hacking your registry.

#6 eniqmah

eniqmah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

Amazing! Is there any way to add locations to the Move To... menu?
Such as the Send To menu has, I want to be able to put presets in the Copy To and Move To Menus.

If it's not possible, thanks anyway for this great tweak. Why does Microsoft disable this by defaut??

For Copy To, you can fix the target location by editing the SendTo target folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users