Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 8.1 "BEEP" CODES

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

I’m new to Windows 8.1 and am unsure what those frequent “three-beep” tones mean. 

So far, I’ve noticed an ascending and a descending “three-beep.”  The nearest connection so far is that my Maxtor 1-Touch external hard drive activates (ascending beeps) and deactivates (descending beeps). 

Also, when I’m busy with other computer functions, the “beeps” alternate frequently between ascending (on?) and descending (off?).  Why not just stay on?

If I’m relatively inactive, the Maxtor 1-Touch remains “off” – I think.  Is there a timing factor here?  Again, I’m new to all this.  Comments?

Thanks,

shamrock838

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Is the drive showing in windows? You should move data off it ASAP if it still reads. Any beeping coming from the HD is a bad sign. It could be a number of things. The platter motor is stuck, bearing in motor siezed, the head could be stuck on the platter, the head could be scratching the platter surface etc. It sounds as though you're not sure if it's coming from the HD or from the pc.

Edited by technonymous, 15 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users