Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading graphics card to run mame emu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Genepick2

Genepick2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 2.80GHz. I'm looking for a decent priced AGP graphics card to better my mame and other nes n64 emulators. I know it's an old system but I'm not looking to play any big 3D shooter games. The biggest games I would try to play would be golden tee or mortal Kombat type games. All help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunately, AGP cards are not very common.  Something like the HIS H435F512HA Radeon HD 4350 could work, assuming your PC's power supply is about 300 watts. 

3939.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

There's quite a lot of AGP cards on Ebay, including refurbished items or unsold stock, but they seem to command fairly high prices given their age.

Power could be a problem with anything more powerful than a very basic video card, as the Dell specs for that machine show it has a 250w PSU.  It would need to be upgraded to use a more powerful card.

By the way, I'm fairly sure MAME makes very little use of the GPU (everything is software rendered and more advanced games need fast single thread CPU performance) but things like Project 64 do use the GPU.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

Dumb question, why do you need to upgrade your video card to play games with poor graphics?

Have you tried the games on the current card and had issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users