Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 igreenbean

igreenbean

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Ever since I switched my router, my internet will connect if I start regularly, but I will only get 40 kbs download speed. It is unusable. But if I connect in Safe Mode with Networking it works perfectly like it should. I'm running Windows 7. I think it's also worth noting that if I go to someone else's house and connect to their WiFi it works perfectly. Also I just reinstalled Windows 7 and installed all the right drivers so I know it isn't a virus. I've tried so many things and I'm at a loss. Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

Welcome,

What changes, if any have you made to the router?

Did you delete the configuration in the network connections part of the control panel when you made the change?

It sounds like you need to establish a new connection with your new router.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

I haven't made any changes to the router and I deleted the configurations from my old connection to my previous router.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Is both Ethernet and Wireless slow in normal mode?. What is the speed if you connect directly to your modem?

#5 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

That's the problem. I don't have an Ethernet cable. My last one broke, it works if I use one but I don't have the means to acquire one at the moment.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

If you disable your antivirus, does the speed change?

#7 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

I currently don't have AV installed. I just reinstalled windows and the only things I managed to download were Chrome, Steam, Ventrilo and all necessary drivers for my wireless and video cards

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? One other thing. Right click your wireless network adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in  your next post.

Safe mode loads generic drivers so there has to be some kind of conflict when entering normal mode. What is the make and model of the router?

#9 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

My laptop is a Dell XPS L702X. The first line under hardware ID's is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0091&SUBSYS_52218086&REV_34. I'm not sure of all the details but I know the manufacturer or the router is Zoom. 

Edited by igreenbean, 15 November 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Dell drivers can be problematic. The driver for the wireless in a Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 adapter. It's possible Windows safe mode is using generic 802.11g drivers but I am not sure.

I would download the intel driver for your wireless here.  It may be more compatible with your router. The larger download size includes the intel wireless software. Note, download either the 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS.

Before installing the driver, create a restore point and also a Windows 7 System Repair Disk if you have not done so already.

You should see the model number of the Zoom on a sticker either on the bottom or side.

#11 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm downloading the 90 mb file now but it might take a while. Also, I did try and set the wireless mode to 802.11g only, but to no avail, so I doubt that is the cause. I went into safe mode and compared all of the settings to that of the settings when I boot normally and they were all exactly the same. When I'm finished downloading the driver, I will let you know. 

#12 igreenbean

igreenbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

I downloaded it and installed it and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Words cannot describe how happy I am. Thank you very much. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Your Welcome. Glad everything is working okay now. Thanks for the update.

#14 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:35 AM

Welll should mark this topik solved Lol funny words

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#15 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

I downloaded it and installed it and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Words cannot describe how happy I am. Thank you very much. 

Now would be a very good time to download and install a security program. Remember to keep it and your operating system current.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users