Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which “Big” Book on Windows 8.1 is the “Right” One”?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

I’m a former Windows Vista Business user and new to Windows 8.1.  I’m also shopping for the right “thick” 8.1 book that covers everything – or nearly so. 

At Barnes & Noble, I saw 4-7 such books! – all in the $35-50 range.  I’ve wondered why so many such books and which might be “the right one” for me. 

How would I recognize such a book when I saw it?  [BTW, I define “big book” as averaging about 2” thick.]

Thanks,

shamrock838

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SillyBilly

SillyBilly

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

I bought "Windows 8.1 for Dummies (all in one).  It has 10 books in one volume.  It covered everything I could think of and even more.  I read the entire book chapter by chapter and made summary notes as I read.  I now use the book ans notes as a reference.  I recommend it.

#3 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Silly Billy,

Thanks for your input - I've seen it but I'll take a closer look at it when I revisit B&N.

shamrock838

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

Wileys Bible series have always been fairly decent.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111883531X.html

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

I go with Silly Billy. He mentions the series 'XYZ for Dummies', there is also the series 'An idiots guide to XYZ'.

I have always found these well written, explicit in their assumptions about existing knowledge and contain a welcome element of humour regardless of the subject. My wife doesn't know it yet, but the 'Idiots's guide to Linux' is on my Christmas wish list ! 

These books are for those looking for an introduction to any subject, you would not use them as texts in a Ph.D course, but as an answer to the question 'There must be an easier way to do that ?' they are excellent. As you may gather, I rate them highly !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 shamrock838

shamrock838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thanks to John C_21 - and Chris Cosgrove - for your replies.  I'm starting to get a consensus here - which is good.  I may have to choose one - or get both.  Great for weight lifting too < grin >.

shamrock838

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users