Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processes In Task Mngr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lil John3464

Lil John3464

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

I have like literally over 60 processes running at any given time and i was wondering if this could slow computer or if this is totally normal. Please report on what i can do how yours is and if mine is totally whack yo. THX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:03 AM

Hi Lil John.

Just had a look at my task manager and there are about 40 running which looks pretty normal for me.

If you go to the top of any page here, and look at the Startup Tab you should get some good info - DON'T turn off anything you are not sure about.
Task Manager can be pretty unclear. AN appn called What's Running will give you a lot better idea with heaps of info on each program. You can find it in Freeware Replacements.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 wztech

wztech

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:31 AM

60 & 40 ???!!!?!???!!??!!

That's quite alot.I only have about 25-28 processes running in the task manager.
Don't Laugh .................. It WORKS !!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 Lil John3464

Lil John3464
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

Okay well ill go take a look at that program and then i will just try to end some of the ones that are not necessary because it is looking like this is not very normal.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

You may have many applications that launch themselves on startup so they can run in the background until you need them. Notorious for this practice is instant messagers and music/video players. These slow up boot and logoff, and each takes a slight amount of processing while you are on.
If you have Spybot S&D installed on your computer, you can use its StartupTool to review and manage these applications; often the information provided by the tool is enough to allow you to make a decision, but when in doubt, you should look up the application in the BC Startup Database found at the top of each BC page.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

i have 41, but i've done a check on most of them, i think. i think they're mostly legit. . .

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

I have 64 running at present,speed is good, cpu is good and no problems. Basically it all depends on what you have running on your system. Yes, the less you have then the better, but if you are not experiencing any problems,then you are fine.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

I just got a new Toshiba laptop that came with 50 or so processes running - I've killed off a lot of them, but there's still more to do.

In the Task Manager view is a column with memory usage figures - this is what the system is taking away from your memory. So, the more that's running in memory, the less memory you have for doing what you want. So, research them and disable those that you don't need!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

Try Startup Inspector which is a small ap to manage startup entries.
Its advantage is that it identifies the program that the startup is connected with so you have less chance of stopping necessary aps and processes.

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Startup Monitor, on the same site will notify you and require your consent for any ap that tries to load itself to your startup menu.

I recommend both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users