Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD bad_pool_caller with multiple accounts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jamal01

jamal01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hi

Unfortunately whenever I have multiple accounts signed in I get a BSOD with the error bad_pool_caller. 

When the accounts are the only ones logged in they seem to run fine. However if I switch users, leaving an account running in the background, the active account crashes with a BSOD.

Upon examination of the dump file a common possible culprit may be hal.dll (hal.dll+658f) and ntoskrnl.exe (ntoskrnl.exe+2a208a)

Additionally other blue screens that were not on this day (and were not apparently triggered by multiple users logged in) are as follows:

Oct 31: hal.dll (+658f) and ntoskrnl.exe (+2a208s) - bad_pool_caller
Oct 28: exfat.sys (+7f08) and ntoskrnl.exe (+fcfee) - bug string empty
Oct 25: ntoskrnl.exe (+2a208a) - bad_pool_caller
Sept 29: hal.dll (+58eab) and ntoskrnl.exe (+15a720) - hal_initialization_failed
Aug 15 - NetgearUDSMBus.sys (+a2ea) and ntoskrnl.exe(+20642a)

Hoping this information can help isolate the issue, let me know please if I can provide further data to troubleshoot the issue. As always any help is appreciated. 

Running 

AMD FX 8150 (stock setting water cooled)
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
24 gb RAM
AMD Radeon 7970 (underclocked due to artifacts when gaming @ stock [no heat issues at stock setting or oc])
Intel 520 SSD
WD Caviar Black 1 TB

Also Have several USB drives:
5 tb Seagate
3 tb Seagate
two 64 gb USB

I did install a pci usb hub, possibly on the 28th, however I am uncertain about the date. The port is working fine though, and does have one of the 64 gb usbs installed in it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi Jamal01,

I would need the Dump files in order to analyse the situation your system is in and help cure it ^_^.

Please note that without the Dump files, I can't help you out.

Kindly ZIP Up the dump files and then upload them to a File Hoster like Mediafire. The Dump files are located in "C:\Windows\Minidumps". You might need to copy them to some other folder before zipping them due to permission issues.

Once they are uploaded, paste back a link to it here and I would be glad to analyse them ^_^.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 jamal01

jamal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Here are the dump files

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=74C0E9A8C6373F8E!9013&authkey=!AD1aoQpLyczYIus&ithint=file%2crar

Thanks again

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hi Jamal01 ^_^,

I have analysed your dump files and below has been provided an analysis of the same for informative purposes -

2: kd> k
Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
ffffd000`22eb5618 fffff800`c32a608a nt!KeBugCheckEx
ffffd000`22eb5620 fffff800`c040a2f5 nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+0x113a
ffffd000`22eb5710 00000000`00000000 NetgearUDSMBus+0xa2f5

We can see that the   NETGEAR USB Control Center. Now, let's check the date of this driver -

2: kd> lmvm NetgearUDSMBus
start             end                 module name
fffff800`c0400000 fffff800`c0422000   NetgearUDSMBus T (no symbols)          
    Loaded symbol image file: NetgearUDSMBus.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NetgearUDSMBus.sys
    Image name: NetgearUDSMBus.sys
    Timestamp:        Mon Aug 13 12:33:29 2012 (5028A6C1)
    CheckSum:         0001B062
    ImageSize:        00022000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Bah, the driver is dated to 2012 :( and needs to be updated. Kindly visit the below link to find more information on how to find an update to it -

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=NetgearUDSMBus.sys

Let me know how  it goes ^_^

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 jamal01

jamal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hey

From what I can see the Netgear USB Control Center is running the latest version and driver. (This is also known as readyshare, used to share printer that is plugged into the router) 

#6 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

Hey

From what I can see the Netgear USB Control Center is running the latest version and driver. (This is also known as readyshare, used to share printer that is plugged into the router) 

Hi jamal01 ^_^,

See if you are still getting the crashes if you uninstall the software. If the crashes resolve on uninstalling the system, I would suggest you to contact Netgear Support for this.

Also, I see that there is no Antivirus installed on the system, I would suggest you to install one.

-Pranav

#7 jamal01

jamal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:54 AM

Hi

I use Windows Defender as my anti virus. Giving the uninstall a shoot today

#8 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

Hi

I use Windows Defender as my anti virus. Giving the uninstall a shoot today

Sure thing let me know how it goes ^_^

#9 Cuandur

Cuandur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hi. I have exactly the same initial problem as above.

When I have one Admin account logged in, then login to another Admin account (leaving 1st open), I get the BAD POOL CALLER error and system reboots.

This is a new laptop, with no extra addons (original shop spec) running Windows 8.1 (with all the present updates, 18th May 2015).

I have zipped my minidumps but this system wont allow me to attach them, so I have uploaded to my OneDrive:-

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=e70da73e35f628f3&id=E70DA73E35F628F3!436

Please can somebody help as this is driving me nuts. I bought this computer recently for a new business I'm starting up, therefore I need this sorted ASAP.

Thank-you for your help.

Malky

Edited by Cuandur, 18 May 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#10 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Looks like your problem is exactly the same. NetgearUDSMBus.sys

Luckily, NetGear has fixed the problem with version 1.36 - release notes:

• Fixed the multiuser issue in win8.

You can find it here: ReadyShare Printer Utility

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#11 Cuandur

Cuandur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thank-you

zcomputerwiz

The update seems to have really helped, I downloaded and installed the Netgear update. Then logged into another user account while keeping present account live. Then I switched bewtwwen the two user accounts a good half dozen times keeping both live and all seems to be fine.

Thank-you for your help.

Malky

#12 bimfiu

bimfiu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

I too was getting the same problem all of a sudden. This was happening on both my Desktop PC running Windows 10, and my Dell laptop running windows 7.  Did the same as Cuandur (above) and installed the Netgear update. I am happy to report that I can now (not that I really need to) keep both accounts logged in without the BSOD! Thank you zcomputerwiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users