Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my C drive about to crap out?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mickmeister

Mickmeister

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

I've been running into problems for the past month trying to do a ghost backup of my C drive, with ShadowProtect (on WIN 7). It runs for a few hours, then fails, telling me there's a read error. So I looked on SP's site and it recommends running CHKDSK in this situation. So I ran CHKDSK on the C drive, with "Automatically fix file system errors" checked, then tried another SP backup. Same problem...ran fine for a few hours then aborted. So I ran another CHKDSK, with the abovementioned option checked, plus "Scan for & attempt recovery of bad sectors". It ran overnight, and in the morning it was stuck at 25% of step four. I let it run all day while I was at work, then when I got home it hadn't budged.

Does it sound like my C drive could be warning me that it's about to crap out? I'm wondering if I should replace it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

Yes it is or you could use wipe use wipe bad disk

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#3 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:08 AM

Hmmm...not following your gist...could you please clarify? Thanks!

#4 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

You may want to test your drive with a tool such as this http://hddscan.com/

Edited by alv117, 15 November 2014 - 02:36 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I would run the diagnostic suggested above...and expect the worst.  When chkdsk /r freezes or halts or displays an error message indicating that it has run into something it cannot handle...it's usually a sign of a bad partition structure or a failing drive.

Louis

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

There is no need to wipe a failing HDD, You want to save information off it.

If you have Speccy installed it may help a bit by showing good / bad areas

How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

#7 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for pointing me to HDDScan, alv...I hadn't heard of it. I ran a couple Verify tests. Though info on how to interpret the results is very hard to come by, I've got 117 "Bads", and either 23450 or 10569 greens, depending on which scan you believe (not sure why the results aren't consistent)...not to mention a colorful assortment of oranges and reds...so, it's no state secret that my drive is about to crap out big time.

I'm going to order a new one, then hopefully do a bare-metal ghost restore from a ShadowProtect backup. Wish me luck...I'll need it!

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

OK -

Based on what your "rainbow" says, you know enough already......Mainly bad colors ......

You now need to take any data ( photos / history / etc,) from the HDD and save it to CDs or DVDs, so you can then re-install them once the new HDD is installed.

Wipe etc as said by RobertHD is not required, as I hit old HDDs with a crowbar once removed to destroy any remaining saved data -

Thanks -

#9 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yeah...the plan is to do a ghost restore from a ShadowProtect backup...hopefully restoring not only all my files, but operating system and program installations as well. My last good SP backup is a month old (the fact that it wasn't letting me do a successful backup is what first clued me in to the fact that the drive may be failing). But the SP people told me how I could do a new ghost backup in the recovery environment (i.e. outside of Windows), so I'm going to try that tonight...if it works at least I'll be able to restore from a newer backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users