Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot partition located on a SATA 3.0 SSD but it's only operating at SATA 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dumbtech

Dumbtech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

So I have an HP Elitebook 8760w and am looking to purchase a new, larger capacity SSD.  It has a Hewlett-Packard 1630 mobo, and I am currently running a Samsung 830 128GB.  I ran a benchmark and received the following message concerning my Boot Drive:

The boot partition is located on a SATA 3.0 SSD but it's only operating at SATA 2.0 speeds. If this system has a SATA 3.0 port then plugging the boot drive into it will improve system performance.

First off, I have no idea what this means, and second, is there something I can do to fix this and improve performance?  I really have no problems with performance, but if I can make it run better, I would prefer to do so.  I am purchasing a new SSD so I can have more storage space:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171999&nm_mc=OTC-Shopping&cm_mmc=OTC-ShoppingNet-_-Electronics-_-SanDisk-_-N82E16820171999&scpid=8&scid=scsho6431599&sdc_id=1416011666z750981z55073b0a14269z

Any advice on the message about Boot Drive?  Thoughts on the new hard drive?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

It means the laptop only has sata 2.0. I am 99% sure you can't do anything about that.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

The information I'm finding isn't very definitive. As bloodshot says, if the board implements SATA II then you'll be limited to that, with theoretical restriction of the transfer rate.

The chipset provides 6 SATA channels, and it seems the four SATA III ports implement RAID, and the remaining two default to the individual drive channels at SATA II.

I did find a suggestion that SATA III can be engaged by selecting RAID mode in the BIOS setup, and I have certainly run into this way of doing things before. Dell had a habit of using RAID mode to switch between IDE and SATA in early boards - you chose RAID mode and simply didn't create an array.

If maybe you'd like to experiment with this, and you have a caddy adapter to use two drives, I'd suggest removing that (otherwise just go ahead with the single new drive) and seeing if setting RAID mode changes it to use a SATA III channel for the new drive. Using an empty drive for the test could avoid the curent drive maybe somehow being reconfigured and losing access to existing contents.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users