Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken headphone plug

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattman0313

mattman0313

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

I need help I broke the plug off of the motherboard that your headphones would plug into and the computer thinks the headphones are still plugged in so I don't even get sound through the speakers I tried to reattach the plug to the motherboard with some crazy glue it worked... sort of I only got sound in one side of my headphones and no sound from my speakers even when I unplugged the headphones so is there a way to fix it without buying a whole new motherboard my pc is a Dell Latitude D830 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

When the socket breaks off the mainboard, the electrical connections need to be restored, rather than the socket simply secured back in position. The 3 most likely occurrences are:

1. The solder connections alone have broken. In this situation someone with soldering skills and the right equipment should be able to resolder the socket into place.

2. The solder held but the pads and/or tracks were torn off the board. This is more difficult to fix, as the damaged connection must be remade. Also the socket is never as strong.

3. One or more of the connectors (pins or tabs) on the socket have broken off and stayed attached to the board. This is probably the hardest to get fixed, as usually it's not feasible to repair the socket itself and replacements are hard to source. There is not one single standard type, and manufacturers may not supply individual parts.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

You can buy a sound card to get around this problem.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

Mattman:  This a real common fault and the plug needs to be resoldered back to the board.  Sometimes, with older units, I'll use some hot glue to secure it in place.  Some expert soldering skills are called for.

#5 mattman0313

mattman0313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

ok thanks i'll try one more time to get a better connection with the glue then if that doesn't work then try the soldering sadly this pc doesn't have a sound card its mounted directly to the motherboard 

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

Oh, it's a laptop. I thought it was a PC, oops,

In that case you do still have the option of getting a USB sound adapter. Or the less likely options of a pcmcia sound card or usb headphones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users