Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Cannot connect to AP GUI

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nomido

nomido

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post on bleepingcomputer so hopefully this is the right place to post....

I have just got a new TalkTalk (TT) router having changed ISP and previously had an Asus RT-N66U acting as my wireless AP (connected to a BT HomeHub).

Im trying to set up the Asus as a Repeater of the TalkTalk router (replacing the HomeHub) but cannot seem to log into the Asus GUI.

I've tried a factory reset on the Asus and earlier got onto it once and cannot now find it again. I've tried the default 192.168.1.1 and also looking on the TalkTalk router to see if i can find out the Asus' IP address but no joy.

My laptop is currently plugged into the Asus -> plugged into the TT router and I have an internet connection but i want the Asus to connect wirelessly to the TT router.

Please advise how i can connect to the Asus GUI?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

What comes up in your current configuration when you type 192.168.1.1? Just plug the laptop into the Asus. Don't have the Asus plugged into anything and reset it again. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nomido

nomido
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:56 AM

What comes up in your current configuration when you type 192.168.1.1? Just plug the laptop into the Asus. Don't have the Asus plugged into anything and reset it again. 

Hi CaveDweller2,

Thanks for your reply. When I put 192.168.1.1 into the browser it routes through to the TalkTalk router. I thought there could be an IP Conflict so changed the TalkTalk router to 192.168.1.254 but still no luck.

I tried connecting into LAN1 on the Asus (with it disconnected from the TalkTalk router) and a reset but it still didnt load anything when I tried 192.168.1.1.

What's odd is lastnight when I connected it to the HomeHub i could connect to the Asus GUI, but then after some time I couldn't again. I think the Asus was relying on the HomeHub as the DHCP server as without the TalkTalk/HomeHub I'm only getting a Microsoft standard 169.x IP.

Is there any further info I can provide or any other ideas?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

hmmmm....perhaps you aren't resetting it correctly? Push and hold the reset button until the lights do weird things. Normally they'll all come on and go off or stay on or something like that.

Yes it does seem it's not doing DHCP, specially if you're only plugged into it and getting 169 addresses. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users