Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hi everybody, I've been having some trouble when it comes to switching from one account to another, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

I am running Win XP Home with SP 2, and all current updates installed. There are only two accounts on my machine, one Administrator, and one limited user account, and each is password protected.

I log on to the admin account, and everything seems to be fine, although things seem to load slow at times. Later when I try to switch over, and log on to a limited account one of two things has been happening.

I.) Everything works normally, or 2.) The limited account starts to load up, then just gets stuck, and nothing works.

Whenever # 2 happens I have to manually hold the PCs power off/on button in until the machine goes off, and then restart it.

OK that's part of the problem, here's some more. When I try to switch users back from the limited user to admin there are about three different things that will happen.

1.) My favorite, everything works normally. 2.) The admin account will open, briefly, then quickly close, going back to it's screen saver, and requiring you to reenter the password to get in, however, if I keep the mouse moving while switching users it doesn't do that, 3.) Everything on the screen flickers, and then disappears leaving a blank E Machine background, and just stops right there with nothing working. Here again I have to shut down, and restart the machine.

And here's some more of the problem, everything will just hang from time to time whenever the limited account is simply being logged off of.

I don't think that it is a malware related problem because I have recently submitted a HJT log on a different problem, and received a clean bill of health from the malware section.

OK, so have any of you run into anything like this, if so what to do to overcome this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:46 AM

how recently did the problem start?
Did you installed/uninstalled any software/hardware before the problem started?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:15 AM

Try making a couple of other profiles (you can delete them later). Then try switching between the new ones. If there's no problem, then likely there's a corruption in one of your profiles. If it is the profile, here's a link on how to transfer your data to another profile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I'm not a big fan of Fast User Switching and I turn it off on all of my systems. I have heard of a link to the video drivers that may affect it's performance. As such, you might try uninstalling and then updating your video drivers to the latest WHQL certified version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew, Thanks for your comment. This has been an ongoing problem for quit some time now. I don't think that anything had been downloaded or installed just prior to it starting to happen.

Not long ago my system had a total nervous break down and I was forced to run the system restore disk. As you know that wipes out everything that you had, and starts you off fresh. Well it wiped out everything except whatever it is that's causing the user switching to hang. That's still with me.

Hi usasma, Thanks for commenting. I have tried making a new limited user profile before, and deleting the old one, however, that did no good. But I think that you just suggested that I make several accounts at the same time so I'll give that a go, and see what happens.

Thanks to both of you.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hello Wendy, You say that a system recovery was done (Full) and this problem is still with you. If you had it before the full recovery and still have it then one of two things are true

1 - It is a problem with the computer

2 - It is a configuration problem of some sort.

I ahve a question. Why do you need to switch between a limited account and a full account?

I take it you have the limited account and the administrative account and that is all, correct?

If this is correct then I would suggest a third account and make it a full admin account and switch between this account and the limited account. Why? Basically it is bad to use the admin account for anything except troubleshooting or something like that because if it gets corrupted there is only one solution.

If you are using the limited account to get email and browse there is another solution to that. Please go to this web page and take a look

Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ure11152004.asp

I use this all of the time and it is wonderful and the only time you go on-line with the full-admin is for Windows Updates.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hi ThorXP, Thanks for your comments here. Yes, that same problem was present prior to the recovery, however it didn't seem to happen anywhere near as often as it is now.

In the event that it is some sort of configuration conflict, or problem, how do I check to see what the heck needs to be reconfigured?

Hum? OK as far as having to switch between accounts, would you let someone else use your admin account on your PC?

The admin account is for me only, and the limited account is for other people to play games. A friend of mine likes to play Solitary so I let them use the PC to play cards. That's the reason for switching between accounts on my machine.

You asked >> If this is correct then I would suggest a third account and make it a full admin account and switch between this account and the limited account. Why? Basically it is bad to use the admin account for anything except troubleshooting or something like that because if it gets corrupted there is only one solution.

That is what I have set up now, my user account if the Admin account, and the other is the limited account. Since I posted this thread I have made several more limited accounts to see what happens with them. So far it looks like the problem might be following them all.

Thanks for that link too, I already use the DropMyRights thing whenever I open Internet Explorer to check my mail.

Thanks again.

♥ Wendy

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi Wendy Sorry I have been away from the forum for a bit. I suggested to make another full admin account because it is bad technique to work in the main admin account. It sort of leaves you hanging out. The main admin account should be kept by itself for security purposes. Give it a try making a second admin and using it to switch back and forth from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users