Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Windows XP Pro With Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spikemyminpin

Spikemyminpin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

I am looking to change up date my present OS  XP Pro to Ubuntu  any issues anyone wants to share ?
If I back up my stuff, files photos, etc. on an external HD  or Disc  will I be able to view these with Ubuntu?
Also will I be able to down load  these files back onto the PC ?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2014 - 06:12 PM.
moved from Introductions to the appropriate forum. Also edited topic title to indicate Ubuntu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Hi :welcome:  to BC.

First can I have your PC specs. How much ram type of processor Video card if any, This will help us determine whats best for that PC.\

If I back up my stuff, files photos, etc. on an external HD  or Disc  will I be able to view these with Ubuntu?

Yes.

Also will I be able to down load  these files back onto the PC ?

Yes.

#3 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

I am looking to change up date my present OS  XP Pro to Ubuntu  any issues anyone wants to share ?

I went from XP to Ubuntu 14.04 with no problems. But as Nick said it would help to know the specs of your computer.  I backed up all of my pics and music to a flash drive and had no problems putting them back on. If you have any documents, i found i easier to convert them to pdf first. The laptop that i had XP on was terribly slow, but after i put ubuntu on it, it is like a brand new machine. I am very pleased with performance and speed. If you do decide to switch to Linux then welcome to the group. I love it.

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

I hate to keep saying the same thing, but the specs on your computer will make a big difference.  I have an old xp pro desktop also, with nothing wrong with it.  I couldn't see tossing it, so with a lot of help, and I do mean a lot of help, from here and other places.  Mainly here tho.  I first tried running both xp pro and mint.  You can read windows from linux, but not the other way around.  Back up all your files (on one of my installations I goofed and wiped the hard drive, so pay attention), partition your machine (you'll probably have to use logical partitions), make sure you make one for just home (files) and try it.  There is a lot of help, here and other forums.  With xp pro on a separate partition, it should be safe to use, as long as you're not online on that partition, or downloading to it.  If you don't like what you try, you can try something else, or you would still have your old files for xp.  If I've said something wrong, someone here will correct me fairly soon, so go for it.  

#5 Spikemyminpin

Spikemyminpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

I would like to THank you for the positive responses you posted and the time you took to explain.

I will admit MS  Served its purpose and XP pro is something I had on a few of my computers and like an old paid of shoes it was comfortable.  When they pulled the update plug in April, it left an opening to try something new.

I came accross Ubuntu (Not sure where the name Ubuntu is from sounds like Africa) I do not really care but from the little I know about soft ware and OS . It seems like their is a lot of great smart people out there who may have something good to share.  I know I will once I install it.

I hate to sound computer stupid and  Heyyou325 threw some terms out like "you'll probably have to use logical partitions" not sure what that means. Plus the rest of what was said after that sorry I am lost. I will admit it.  I can DOWNLOAD. I CAN BACK UP, I CAN BURN AND COPY DISCS  I am not as savy as most of you out there.

Nick Au 1 Asked about my specs.  I know what that means but tell me how to give you that info.  So Nick  if I can give you this answer, I will;  First can I have your PC specs. How much ram type of processor Video card if any, This will help us determine whats best for that PC. (Tell me where to go on the PC to get this info.)  I will relay back.

Again I want to Thank you for your willingness to help, I do appreciate it.

Mark  aka /  spikemyminpin  :thumbup2:

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

There is a very good article by jeffce, here, in the XP section, you might read.

If you click my avatar (picture) to the left to access my Profile, and read my signature below, you will see the sort of info we could use to help, that NickAu1 refers to. Also Kaosu's excellent Post, now Pinned, here, which says, in part:

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

If you are still running Windows, you can get a lot of this from XP Pro's system info, or else use Piriform Speccy or Belarc Advisor to get the specs.

Moderator Stolen has a good article here, about posting screenshots when you have got us the other info.

Enjoy Linux!

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Make of machine, processor type and speed, amount of ram, even hard drive size are the basics you probably already know, and will help a lot on what will work on your machine.  There is a lot more that could help, that that's a good basic start.  A partition will keep your information separate, that way the different operating systems won't overwrite something you need on the other one.  There are a lot of tutorials here that will help.  I'm fairly new here myself, and still frustrated quite easily.  A lot of people here know a lot and are happy to help, but as they all have lives too, it can take awhile to get an answer.  

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Spikemyminpin

Go here: http://www.piriform.com/speccy, this is what Nick is talking about for the most part.  You could do it manually, just google it, I forget how and I am not in Windows right now.  Read it, use it, I forget the exact process but it is free so don't pay for it.  It should be very easy also as I could do it lol.  

As for you post topic, imo, I would keep the XP if it is still in good condition, or not, that is up to you.  But you don't need to remove it with Linux, you can run Linux alongside just as easily, awesome huh!  Include the backup before doing anything.  Once you are installed with Linux you also have access to all your XP info. and documents while in Linux, but not the other way around, if that makes sense.  

As long as your HDD is big enough you should be fine Dual booting with linux/Windows.  That way you can still use the XP when needed for tasks-preferably offline to be safe.  You can look at mine and others speccyinfo at the bottom of my page or at ones profile as The Wizard explained.

I suggest to read up on dual booting with Linux, installing Linux etc. just to prepare for the challenge.  I am sure that some of the more knowledgeable and helpful folks here will help you install this as they have me.  Don't go at it alone as I can see you are a bit like me with pc knowledge.  cat1092 and Nick are here almost daily and I think they would be happy to help you install.  I installed Linux Mint Mate back in June I think, and it is way faster than the XP that I still have installed.  It really blows it away, was easy to install along side of xp and have not had a virus yet!  

Edited by pcpunk, 16 November 2014 - 08:17 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

Geez you guys make it hard. No wonder novices get confused and think changing OS is hard.

What's wrong with this way? No downloading installing or posting links needed.

Click Start and Run.
Type msinfo32 into the run box and press enter.
rw10rl.jpg

Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP users can also enter the System Information window by typing winmsd and pressing enter.

Microsoft System Information

msinfo32.jpg

See where it says processor? ( in the right hand side window) Tell me what that bit says.

Then under Hardware resources  Click the Memory and tell me what that says.

I hate to sound computer stupid and  Heyyou325 threw some terms out like "you'll probably have to use logical partitions" not sure what that means.

Do not worry about this. You are replacing Windows.

I came accross Ubuntu

I would go with Linux Mint XFCE it almost looks like XP. I have said it before and will say it again Ubuntu is not as novice friendly.

Get Linux Mint here. BEFORE INSTALLING LINUX TRY IT OUT FROM THE LIVE DISK SEE IF THERE ARE ANY PROBLEMS

Xfce32-bit

(Not sure where the name Ubuntu is from sounds like Africa)

Ubuntu (/ˈbnt/ oo-BOON-too)[7][8][9] is a Debian-based Linux operating system, with Unity as its default desktop environment (GNOME was the previous desktop environment). It is based on free software and named after the Southern African philosophy of ubuntu (literally, "human-ness"), which often is translated as "humanity towards others" or "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".[10]

Ubuntu (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by NickAu1, 16 November 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Happy Monday to you too, Nick,  :hysterical:  I was getting there, just had to fire up the wife's XP laptop to refresh my memory

I'll move on - nice to hear from you punk!

:wizardball: Wiz

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Spikemyminpin,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Everyone here has offered good suggestions, though the one that Nick posted was the easiest, and if further machine information is needed, then one of the other alternatives. I use the msinfo32 utility frequently, as beginning with Windows 8, the old System Information link, which provided the same results, was removed. 

Linux MInt Xfce is indeed a great XP replacement, depending on specs, it may be able to run MATE instead, which includes a lot more out of the box. However the good thing about Xfce, one can add just what extras are wanted, and there are lots at no cost to you. No activation, no strings attached, just a free, fast OS to run. 

Yes, most all of your Data can be transferred to your Linux install. It's best (for safety) to make two copies of what you wish to transfer. A quick way would be the popular Flash drive for transfer, with an extra copy somewhere else, such as the external backup drive you should have & be using. :)

You can even use GoogleDrive or OpenDrive (GMail or Microsoft account required for each). Both offers 15GB of online storage at no cost, though their's a size limit for a single file or folder (it's huge). At the current time, and hasn't been for years, it's not a requirement to be running a Windows OS to use a Microsoft Account (Outlook.com email & OpenDrive for storage), and the spam filters are as good as that of GMail. Both are great, considering they're free services. Some may say that Microsoft sorts through customer's emails, while I cannot deny nor confirm this actually happens, the other brands of services has similar clauses in their EULA, and Google even encourages their members to read these things in a notification that "this isn't the usual ya-da".

And the other benefit of GMail, if you run the Google Chrome browser, and you stay signed into it, you can install it in LInux Mint & all of your bookmarks & most extensions will be there. Same with Firefox, if you're running Firefox Sync. Extensions that are designed to work with Windows only will not be installed to Mint, nor any other Linux based OS.  

Should you require further assistance with anything pertaining to your install, don't hesitate to ask. There are no "dumb" questions here, as we all were Linux newbies at some point. 

And should you have issues with a particular component of your system, including networking & printing, feel free to open a new Topic for discussion. 

Good Luck on your install and glad to have you in the Linux family.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:01 AM

if you mess up on the partitioning don't worry. You can fix the partitioning scheme with a program called gparted. Partitioning works like this: you have four primary partitions and then as many logical partitions as you want.

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/09/18/guide-to-disks-and-disk-partitions-in-linux/

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:30 AM

Yes, partitioning can be tricky & confusing at first, but once the rules are learned through experience, it's no big deal. Also, when I first began dual booting, I ran Linux Mint from logical partitions with no issues. 

Fortunately, though it's going to take some time, MBR will be a relic of the past, and one can create as many partitions as needed of whatever type. Probably come another 10 years, after all computers distributed with Windows 7 are ancient, which is a lifetime in computing years, we'll all see it. 

Many later model Windows 7 computers has GPT formatting out of the box, so 10 years may be pushing it. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 November 2014 - 01:33 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:54 AM

If by chance your CPU is a non-PAE one, and you'll know if your MInt 17 Xfce media won't boot, then you can use Mint 13. Which is supported until April 2017. 

There are articles on how to force a non-PAE CPU to run the latest LInux MInt & Ubuntu titles, but I never could get Mint 17 Xfce to boot on one of these. Maybe one who knows how to edit the image (or bootable Flash installer) can. It's Free software, as in freedom, so there's nothing stopping one from doing this, as there are no EULA's to accept for the OS. 

Just wanted to let you know, so that you'll know the deal if Mint 17 media won't boot on your computer. If the CPU is a 64 bit (Intel64 or amd64), this shouldn't be an issue, as PAE isn't needed for those. NX may be, but I don't have a 64 bit computer that old to test on. 

More on Linux Mint 17 Xfce.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_xfce_whatsnew.php

Just in case you need Mint 13, here it is. Xfce links are the bottom ones. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 November 2014 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users