Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synaptics Touchpad Driver Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

This is now the third forum I have posted to regarding this issue.I've been to Sevenforums and to the HP forums.I don't know how/when this happened (because I rarely restart my pc) but,I recently had to restart after some updates and after restarts now it seems that I have to physically load the Synaptics touchpad driver in order for things like (in particular) two finger scrolling) to work.

I uninstalled the Synaptics driver (because Synaptics site has a newer version.HP,so far,isn't supporting the new one). I was instructed to restart the pc after uninstalling the old driver and before installing the new one.That's when the problems started.After booting to the Windows login screen,the keyboard became disabled and I was unable to use the pc.

I've done a system restore and all is back to normal.But,I'm still left with the original problem (having to physically load the Synaptics software because it's not loading itself). Have any of you ever experienced this problem and if so,how did you remedy this situation ?

Thanks very much for all help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Honestly...if you have an HP system...you should get your drivers for basic functions from the HP website.  Theoretically, all drivers for a specific item SHOULD be useable...but "should" is a word that often does not apply to OEM systems, IMO.

Louis

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hamluis....your thoughts are much appreciated,my friend.I have discovered that the solution is to simply download the driver from Synaptics website,unzip it and install it directly over the other driver.There is NO NEED to uninstall the other driver first.And,I'd also like to inform everyone that after installing this driver (Ver 17) my scrolling is MUCH smoother now ! WHY HP hasn't updated this driver since version 15 is completely beyond me.AND.....it's also enhanced for 64 bit systems !

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work...thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users