Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download Files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

I am trying to download some of the security files (my computer has gotten very slow and non-responsive) here from Bleeping Computer which I have done in the past on several occasions but for some reason even though I go through the motions they are not downloading and I can't figure out way so any insight would be appreciated.

When I look at the history it shows the files downloading but then they vanish sort of like those mysterious airplanes that flew into thin air.

Thanks.

Edited by JayJax, 14 November 2014 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

You might have your security settings set too high. You might want to reset them back to default and see if that makes any difference. 

Also when you do download anything what does happen? 

Do they get blocked?

Is there an Error Message of any sort? 

Have you tried this method in Safe-Mode?

To reset your security settings try this : 

Re/Enable Downloads

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows.
  2. Press the Windows key windows_key_icon.jpg + R.
  3. Type inetcpl.cpl into the Open field and click OK. This will open Internet Properties (otherwise known as Internet Options).
    SOLN3587Fig1-1.png

Figure 1-1

• Click the Security tab icon-rarr_10x9.png Reset all zones to default level.
    SOLN3587Fig1-2.png

Figure 1-2

• When you are finished, click OK to save your changes.

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for your response and suggestions.    I found a program on my computer that I had previously downloaded from this site some time back and was able to run that - it found very little wrong just a few things but whatever it was after I ran it everything was functioning as it should have been.     I can't remember what the program was for sure but I think it was either JRT or Combofix  - I wish I could remember positively.   Anyway - all seems to be well but I'm glad to have the information you supplied as it may be useful in the future.

To answer your question, though, what was happening - it appeared to be downloading but then when I looked in downloads there was nothing.    I successfully downloaded a program a few days ago from Softonic for driver updates which worked okay but afterwards the problem developed so it may have been something I picked up with that, not really sure.

Anyway you guys have been lifesavers consistent, its good to have a resource that is reliable.   Some "fixes" elsewhere have done more damage than help but never had that problem with B.C.

Jax

Edited by JayJax, 15 November 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

If you suspect that you may still be infected you should open a topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

There doesn't seem to be a problem but if anything develops I will certainly follow-up the Am I Infected. Thanks.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well, now we are back to this, files I try to download here don't take.   They appear to but then they aren't there.   Most frustrating.   Sigh.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

Make sure you download and save the file to your Desktop. If not, you may end up saving it into a Temporary folder (sometimes hidden by default) and not be able to find it.

- In Internet Explorer go to Tools > View downloads > Options...then browse to your Desktop and click OK. How to choose a different download folder in Internet Explorer

- In Firefox go to Tools > Options > General Tab and under Downloads, check the box "Save files to"....then browse to your Desktop and click OK. How to choose a different download folder in Firefox
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Make sure you download and save the file to your Desktop. If not, you may end up saving it into a Temporary folder (sometimes hidden by default) and not be able to find it.

- In Internet Explorer go to Tools > View downloads > Options...then browse to your Desktop and click OK. How to choose a different download folder in Internet Explorer

- In Firefox go to Tools > Options > General Tab and under Downloads, check the box "Save files to"....then browse to your Desktop and click OK. How to choose a different download folder in Firefox

Thanks, I'll follow your advice and explore "how-to's" in Firefox to be sure I have the best settings.    I did delete my download history which hopefully will help.   I'm on my way to try to download a few utilities here so I'll see how that goes.

OH just tried downloads and its not working - they aren't downloading anywhere - I don't think its a setting because up until yesterday I was downloading with no issues.

Edited by JayJax, 03 December 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Tnen try using System Restore to return to previous state before the problems began.

How to restore to a previous state with System Restore in Windows 7

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

I have set Firefox to always ask me where to download.     I tried to download several files from this site and I have too "allow" it because of my security settings/problems with pop-up stuff - so I allow it and it says "CONNECTING" but when I check downloads there's nothing there.   I'm completely puzzled by this.   I just was successful in downloading something from another site so it appears to be something prohibiting me from downloading here but can't imagine what.

Tnen try using System Restore to return to previous state before the problems began.

I had reason to try to use system restore over the weekend and it failed for some reason.    I do not know how to access all the restore points and it only gave me one choice.

Edited by JayJax, 03 December 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

Now i have tried to download SPECY from BC and it would not download.   So I tried the author's site download and that failed as well althought I was successful in downloading using the link provided by Quietman7?

I'M MYSTIFIED.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

If you follow the prompts for System Restore you find a check box titles show more restore points.  Place a check there and more restore points will appear.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

If you follow the prompts for System Restore you find a check box titles show more restore points.  Place a check there and more restore points will appear.

Okay, I will give it a try thanks.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

Are the downloads on that site safe to use?   I have noticed that bad stuff gets mixed in with the stuff that's safe, the people who do it have a way of making it look like its part of the site - they are tricky - why do people spend so much time doing stuff that screws up your computer.   What's in it for them I wonder.   Or are they just sicko's who enjoy going to bed thinking about how many computers are jacked up because of them.  Is there a way of checking out stuff before you download it?   I've even downloaded some stuff on CNET that came packed with EXTRAS that hijacked my browser, etc.  Good grief.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

Bleeping Computer's hosted programs for download are trustworthy, safe and malware-free.

With CNET, BrotherSoft, Tucows and similar third-party download hosting sites, you always have to be careful with deceptive download links and bundling of software. Clicking on the incorrect link may redirect to another download site which uses heavy and confusing advertising with more download links. On almost every site, including safe software download sites, you may encounter an obtrusive green "Download Now" button as a type of advertisement. These buttons ads come from third party ad networks and work well because many users are capricious by nature. Clicking on one of these "Download Now buttons" (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download.More information and Best practices for downloading software can be found in this topic:
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users