Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it still possible to install Win XP?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 python72

python72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

I have Win XP Pro installation disk with Product Key. I wanted to re-install windows on my desktop but I get message that the Product Key is not valid.

I know they Product Key should work because it comes from the original package the installation disk came from. I am guessing that since the Win XP is no longer supported Microsoft is not validating these Product Keys anymore?? 

Can I still install Win XP in someway?

It is older desktop which I still want to use for some of my work, I do not want to spend money on new operating system and linux is not an option since I need to run some windows software.

The PC is getting very slow and reboots randomly so I thought that if I give it a fresh start I might still be able to use it for a bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

You may have to update XP by phone. Try the method here for installing. When first installing do not provide a product key. Then activate by phone.

You can also use this toll-free number if in the U.S. Try to get a live person.

Win (888) 571-2048

Edit: As far as I know, Microsoft is still validating keys for XP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

My XP-Pro machine still runs just fine. Further, I have "Norton Ghost" Image files of all of my important partitions, so that in the event of problems, I can wipe a partition, then restore it to the way it was before the problem.

#4 Nooralam

Nooralam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

My XP-Pro machine still runs fine and dandy. Further, I have "Norton Ghost" Image documents of the greater part of my essential segments, so that in the occasion of issues, I can wipe an allotment, then restore it to the way it was before the issue.

NoorAlamShahzad

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

I just reinstalled XP maybe a month ago...validated by Internet, same as usual.

Louis

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

Currently in the midst of updating XP Pro 64 bit on Dell Optiplex 740. Has been successfully activated & registered to Microsoft with my information. 

Don't see the need of wasting 4GB of RAM with the 32 bit version (out of 8GB), so went with the 64 bit. So far, so good. It's a business computer anyway, and XP uses considerable less resources than Vista Business that I just formatted over. 

Microsoft posted before the cutoff date of support that XP could still be installed, activated & all updates through April 8, 2014 installed. The monthly MRT Tool is available every month through July 2015 & I highly recommend to open it & run a Full scan with the app, the one performed after install is a short scan. One way of running it is downloading a fresh copy & selecting Full Scan. This is the silent "scrub" tool that MS gives to all supported Windows users each month. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/180773/what-is-the-malicious-software-removal-tool-and-do-i-need-it/

The other, and simple way (I just verified it), is to click Start, then Run & type "mrt.exe" (w/out the quotes) in the space. This brings up the MRT interface, and a Full scan can be ran. Note that this process can take a long time on some computers. 

So yes, as long as it's a legit install, fresh or re-installs of XP are fine. This is also a good time to create a backup, once it's fully updated, to have a clean XP install on demand, when needed. 

EDIT: Speccy specs of fresh XP Pro 64 bit install below:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JmKYQyeouixVlfbOOlAjTRP

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 November 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 python72

python72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

Well I just had some time to look into this issue again and I tried to install the Windows XP again but same as before I got the "Product ID not valid, Try again" message.

So I called Microsoft to make sure the product key is OK.

I was told that there is no issue with my product key but he could not help me anymore than that. 

I also tried to do the install without entering the the product key, got message saying that I will have to enter the key in the future but no matter if I click Yes or No it still takes me back to the product key entry screen.

The Microsoft support guy I spoke to told me that I should get local computer technician who would be able to install Windows from my CD using my Product Key.

Can anyone let me know what different approach technician could take to get my Windows CD to work? I just do not understand why I am having these issues if my product key is OK.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

What is the Service Pack level of the installation CD?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 python72

python72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Service Pack 3

Windows XP Pro

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

I don't know if this is your issue but a poster said he could only get the key to work if he held down the shift key to type any Upper Case letters in the key. When he was typing in lower case the key letters showed as upper case but when he used shift to create Upper Case letters, the key worked. I never heard of this. This was on a Ubuntu Forum no less.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

John's thought is an interesting one. Has the CD actually been used to install previously with that Product Key or was it simply the CD media supplied with a ready installed OS? Beyond what John has found, at this juncture I can only speculate the disc is mis-associated with the key or is faulty.

One way to check that would be to try installing from another XP Pro SP3 CD.

Edited by Platypus, 02 January 2015 - 11:20 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

JohnC, that's a new one on me.  :)

Just installed XP Media Center Edition via VirtualBox on Linux Mint, perhaps the trickiest of all OS's to install if it isn't on one CD/DVD (mine required three, swapping around), and I just typed the COA as is, not pressing a Shift key, the entries were capital letters anyway, along with some numbers. 25 Digit COA is a random mix, so not having to mess with the Shift key may be a good thing. 

Is the install CD getting worn down, or are there any damaged areas, such as deep scratches? I had a Windows 2000 Pro (W2K) install to fail because of this years back & had to obtain a new CD, but in my case, didn't make it through the install. 

One way to check that would be to try installing from another XP Pro SP3 CD.

+1! :thumbup2:

Doesn't hurt to try. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 python72

python72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

I bought this OS from computer store few years back and never used it before, there are no scratches on the disc at all.

Will try to use the shift key when entering tomorrow.

I would like to try loading from another WinXP SP3 disc but don't have one, any good place to donwload iso image to burn to cd?

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

python72, XP isn't supposed to be legally downloaded (neither is Vista any longer), one has to purchase from a retailer of Genuine Microsoft software. Many of these won't offer downloads anyway, as the version is boxed. 

XP Pro SP2/3 (Full Edition) still goes for as much as Windows 7 Pro of the same version. There are sites that has these older sets in stock, and can be legitimately be activated, but $279 to $299 for a key is just too much. 

I'm suspecting that downloads for Windows 7 may cease after the release of Windows 10, so have stocked up on updated ISO's of all available with SP1 & some updates bundled. 

Beware of anyone offering XP downloads. Chances are, one will get more than what's desired. 

You may be able to find one at a used book store, which also carries all sorts of software (user supplies their own COA), or a store such as Goodwill/Hospice, they sell much anything of value, no questions asked. Might luck up and find a boxed version for next to nothing with a COA inside. Being the first of the year, many has unloaded all sorts of items for a charity receipt. 

May do the same myself, I need another XP copy or two. 

Cat

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

May I ask is this Install disc you have an upgrade version or a full version?

If this is a full version to be sold with a new computer and the disc detects windows currently on  your system and your providing a key that is not the same key as the one that is currently on your computer Then the system may be detecting that this is not valid.  Is the key your putting in different than the key on  your computer or the same?

If this is an upgrade disc and your trying to Install onto a system that has no OS currently installed.  Again the disc is expecting a current version of windows OS where none is present.  Did you wipe the partitions or simply put in this xp disc?

Also try the suggestions on this KB article.

Let us know what works for you.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 03 January 2015 - 05:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users