Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eMachines D620 - will not boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

This computer belongs to a Bridge Club for whom I am the scorer, web-master and sys-admin (You could do that Chris, you're good with computers !). It was built with Vista Home basic but I reverted it to XP SP3 because it didn't have the grunt to run Vista.

I took it down to the Club last night, switched it on and turned to hook up the rest of the equipment then realised it hadn't started up. I couldn't get it to start. I grabbed another computer from my house and carried on.

Looking at it this morning it seems there is a power supply problem. With the mains connected the charging light is showing green but nothing happens when you press the power button except a very brief 'whirr' from the fan which stopped almost immediately. There was power reaching the optical drive because I was able to open that and and try an XP install disc and the self-booting Puppy disc I keep handy. Both times the disc span up  and ran for a few seconds and then stopped. There is no BIOS screen of any sort.

Without the mains connected, there is just a brief display of the power on light which then goes out.

The charger unit is putting out 19.4V off load, the computer hasn't been dropped or otherwise abused, it worked perfectly a week ago - for three hours on the mains at our meeting and then for about 15 minutes on battery at home when I ran it to get the results files off it and it shut down normally. Then it was just left sitting in my 'office' until I packed it up last night.

The computer is just over 4 years old. Is it possible the battery has died and this is one of those machines that will not run with a dead battery ?  Any other thoughts ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

Even if the main battery died, the computer should still power on with the charger and battery removed. Sometimes a laptop will not boot if the CMOS battery has died.

You can try powercycling the computer if you have not done so already.

With the battery and charger removed, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the charger but leave the main battery out. Power on the computer. If that did not work replace the CMOS battery. Hopefully it's not one soldered to the motherboard.

For your reference here is the service manual. You do not have to log in. Just wait for the processing to finish which takes awhile. I just looked at the CMOS battery on page 72. It looks like to have to tear down the computer to get at it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Thanks John.

Power cycling didn't make any difference so I will download the manual and I can see that being my homework for the next week ! You are probably right about the CMOS battery, this laptop spends the majority of its life either sitting on a shelf or in a computer bag. It is not used intensively !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

I've just downloaded the manual and had a quick look at it. This sounds like fun, I don't think !

C

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks John, I owe you one.

One dead CMOS battery. OK, I took it slowly and carefully because I hadn't torn one of these down before and it took me an hour and a half, but even with practice I don't think you could get that much under one hour. If I was doing this professionally I would have to charge about £UK 50 for that for a battery that costs about £ 1.50.

Having said that, I was truly impressed with the manual - one of the best written and most detailed I have come across. If all Acer's manuals are like that I will seriously consider an Acer the next time I am looking for a laptop.

I even managed to get all the connections back together - and just to prove it I am writing this  post  on it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

Great! Glad you got it sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users