Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon ImageClass all-in-one - scan resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JudMc

JudMc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

I bought a Canon ImageClass MF4770n to replace a printer, a scanner, and add photocopy (and fax) capabilities.  I like it pretty well except for one thing.  It uses Canon's "MF Toolbox" (an appropriate name) to control the scanning.  The scanner is capable of 600 DPI scanning, but the MF Toolbox will only let you select resolutions up to 300 DPI.  To get 600 DPI you have to check a box in the MF Toolbox to get to the driver.  That takes a lot of extra steps to scan at 600 DPI.

I'm using Windows 8.1.

I emailed Canon about it, and they said to use the driver (from MF Toolbox).  I said "why not make MF Toolbox so it can select 600 DPI"?  They said that you have to go through MF Toolbox to get to the driver to do it.

Is there some easier way to get it to easily scan at 600 DPI?  Is there some other software that will do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Did you get the driver to do it?  (Or are you saying you have to do that every time?)

Edited by bludshot, 14 November 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#3 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

Did you get the driver to do it?  (Or are you saying you have to do that every time?)

Yes, I have the driver and the MF Toolbox software. If I want to scan at 300 DPI, I bring up the MF Toolbox software, click on an icon (Save to folder or PDF).  Then it brings up another window, and I press "start", and it goes. 

That screen has an Image Quality dropdown box, but the max resolution you can select there is 300 (which is the default).

If I want to scan at 600 DPI (optical), I have to:

1. check the "Display the Scanner Driver" checkbox

2. click Start - it brings up a window saying "ScanGear MF" at the top.

3. On this new screen, go to "output settings" box, change the "output resolution" dropdown from 300 to 600

4. Press "Scan" button, and it goes.

It will retain these settings until I exit out.  The next time I want to scan at > 300 DPI I have to go through those extra steps again, except that it does retain the state of the "Display the Scanner Driver" checkbox.

The Canon person said "that's the way it is". 

I don't see why the MF Toolbox won't just let me select 600, since that is a native optical resolution, but it only goes to 300.

There doesn't seem any way to select 600 from the MF Toolbox. 

So I want to allow MF Toolbox to select 600 (which I doubt is possible) or get some software where I can easily select the resolution I want.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

Yeah. That probably is just the way it is. Perhaps there is some fancy 3rd party scanner software out there that can do it, but I'm not aware of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users