Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Settings Are Managed By Your System Administrator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

I have a machine that a company just wanted a new user created on and also have the updates for, it was in a domain and still has most the policies in place. One being the ability to adjust settings in the windows update area.

Is there any quick way to revert any policy changes, or just changes in general that were applied while this computer was in the domain? Its no longer going to be in a domain and just act as a machine to access their work machines while at another office that does not have a domain.

I just essentially want to get it back to its normal defaults and set it up with the usual protection and their rdp shortcuts.

I've read about the gpedit option, nothing is changed or set, its all defaults

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 14 November 2014 - 11:02 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hi

Extended support for Windows Vista ends: April 11, 2017

You did not specify the flavor of Windows Vista. If it is anything other than Windows Vista Ultimate, gpedit is pretty much a shot in the dark. (Believe me I have tried many of the solutions unsuccessfully).

Firstly... I would offer them the opportunity to update the OS.

Considering the cost of Windows 7...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=306&cm_re=software-_-Spot%2001-_-OS

Professional With Service Pack 1 - 64-bit $119.99
Home Premium OS 64bit $99.99
Home Premium OS 32bit $89.99

I would highly recommend that you offer them Windows 7.

The company has put faith in you, to set them straight and offer the best solutions. You will have a returning customer for years to come.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

The machines are vista business, however... since I last posted, my manager got them to just transfer all their personal folders, pst, and qbb files to an external drive. I used one of those key retreival programs and just reloaded vista with their same key.. Im surprised he was able to convince them :P They're part of a handful of businesses in our area that are impossible to get to upgrade and or reload. This machine as well as the others will remain active until their hard drives completely give out. They still have windows xp machines with 512mb of ram that they use quickbooks on. You can say an even mention good simple office machines and all the best bang for your buck options and they just will not change a thing until it absolutely gives out. Oh well...

If anyone does have any idea how to do this incase I run into a business that won't even accept a re-installaion, please let me know.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 14 November 2014 - 03:52 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users