Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black after couple of minutes, works fine without drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

Im testing friends computer. I can watch movies, but using chrome/opera or playing games screen goes black after couple of minutes. First signs are random flickering, and then completely black. Computer works though because i can hear sounds. Sometimes after couple of minutes screen do comes back.
Computer is connected to the LCD TV via HDMI.
Temperatures are ok, 30-50 C. I put new thermal paste, and still the same thing.
But, when i uninstall GPU drivers, computer works fine.
Win 7 is freshly installed 3 times, installed catalyst drivers, nothing.
GPU is R9 300 series.

Can i conclude that GPU is near death?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Can you connect to the tv with vga or dvi?

#3 panthera0404

panthera0404
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

yup, same thing using DVI or DVI-VGA. if drivers are installed after 5, 6 minutes screen goes black

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

You could rule out the TV being the problem (some totally weird implausible problem that only happens with the drivers installed) if you test it with another monitor or tv. Doesn't really seem like the graphics card is failing physically, because then why wouldn't it fail with generic drivers?

#5 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Maybe is smart to try with some older drivers or some "modified" drivers. That will eliminate or prove driver problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users