Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8.1 is a little mysterious to Me

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

I have 8.1 I just happen open a Gif, and noticed it open by Internet Explorer

I'm not exactly a PC whiz but it would seem to me the internet address that it is displaying is my computer.

What's that all about because if it is what I think it is ?????

Then, . .  I need to say, . . .  personal computer security is a subject I may get interested in discussing. 

Like the first thing I would have to say is ;

ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

What the hell are you talking about, opening gifs in IE is pretty normal, it works in Windows 7 too. How is this a security problem? Just because your IE can access local files, doesn't mean another website can like the same way... Chrome and FF can do this too, such as downloading PDFs and then opening them through their pdf viewer. 

Edited by Ezzah, 14 November 2014 - 09:08 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

Gif is often an animated image format, microsoft office picture manager or windows photo viewer are incapable of showing animated content but any browser can show it playing. using right click-->open with you can open gif images in normal photo viweing programs, but they will not be animated. When opening a file on your hard drive (a pdf or an image) via a browser (chrome, ff or ie) it is perfectly normal for the file path to be displayed in the adress bar.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users