Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With SBS 2011

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckB061255

ChuckB061255

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:40 AM

I just started working for a computer repair and support company and we have a client who has SBS 2011, I don't think we setup this server for them, not sure. In any event I know very little about SBS (now Windows Server Essentials). I see SBS 2011 comes with SQL server 2008 R2 and it does not appear to be attached to any application or services running on the server, I see the Sharepoint and Monitoring services but they are disabled and I don't see any SQL agents running. My problem and question is -- no one knows the "sa" credentials for the SQL management studio login -- would this have been a required part of the initial server setup?

I need to install an application that requires a SQL database server and I was wondering if SQL 2008 R2 can be cleanly/safely uninstalled from SBS 2011 and then reinstalled so that I can create new sa credentials?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sql server for small Business (SQL 2008 R2 std equivalent) is part of the Premium add-on for SBS 2011. Nothing that is part of SBS natively depends on that version of SQL. Checking in add/remove programs should identify whether it is a grown up version of SQL installed and not an express version.

Therefore if you can really see nothing likely to use it, it's probably safe to uninstall/reinstall. If you wanted to be moderately careful, you could just stop /disable the current SQL server service and look for ill effects. It would be easy enough to re-enable and start again if you realised that something had been impacted. If nothing was impacted after a reasonable period of time, you could uninstall SQL server as you say..

If you wanted to be ultra careful and the server was not too pressed for memory and other resources, you could install a second named instance of SQL server alongside the current instance,. That would be entirely separate and you would not need to touch the first.

x64

#3 ChuckB061255

ChuckB061255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Thanks so much for your response, appreciate it.

This SBS server is 2011 Standard. The version of SQL installed is MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (64bit) from Prog/features. We will probably go with the 2nd instance install of SQL in this case. Server has 16GB RAM, we should be good. Now, how would I install the 2nd instance? Would it be from the same media the first instance was installed from? Are there additional licenses for SQL that need to be purchased?

I'm assuming when the 2nd instance is installed I will be able to setup a new "sa" account for this instance, right?  That's the issue right now, we do not have the creds for the current instance. We need SQL server for Ipswitch FTP Server we are trying to get installed and setup for client. Long story but we cannot have it run on an instance of PostgreSQL for another app they have. FTP Server will not install with existing instance running. So MS SQL is how we need to go.. 

Your assistance is very much appreciated. Wish I knew more about SQL, but I am learning now. 

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

To install the second instance, just run SQL setup from the CD. You will be given the option to add an extra 'named' instance of SQL server along the way - the setup allows you to add and remove instances as desired. Later, when you connect to the new instance from the application, you will identify the SQL instance using the format servername\instancename.

You do not need additional licences for the extra instance, as as all instances are in the same server operating system environment.

You do of course need the original licence and CALs, (you said you have SBS 2011 std - you would need the premium add-on to use SQL server , - the user cals also need the premium add-on.).

Yes, the extra instance is entirely administratively separate - it will have its own sa password.

x64

Edited by x64, 16 November 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#5 ChuckB061255

ChuckB061255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi There,

Thanks for your assist...Was back at this client site today. Installed SQL Server from the SBS 2011 media (D:\CMPNENTS\SQLEXPRX64RTM.exe), named the instance and all looked good. But then the FTP software could not connect to SQL. There is only a 64 bit of SQL on the disk and after speaking to support, I'm advised that the FTP server software I am trying to install will only run on 32 bit SQL Server. 

I do see that the FTP software supports MS SQL 2008 Express, would that be an option?

Not sure what else to do now...Your advise appreciated.

Thanks again...

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

I fail to see why the architecture of the SQL server (process) would have an effect on compatibility in that way. The interface between the SQL server service and the software that uses the data does not really maipulate the server in an archetecture dependant way.

It does seem that you have installed a cut down version of SQL server - SQL server Express edition (I'd have thought that that edition would be Ideal to be backed onto an FTP server, but check the compatibility with the FTP server documentation anyway).

By "32bit Sql server" could they have meant a 32bit operating system? The last version of Windows server that had a 32 bit (x86) variant was Windows server 2008.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users