Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can search engines crawl & index social media profiles set to private?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 verb sandwich

verb sandwich

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

Does anyone know if Search Engines can crawl and index social media profile pages that are set to private (set to where only "friends" of that person are able to access the page)? The best analogy I can give is back in the Myspace era when users had the option to set their pages to private, and anyone who wasn't a 'friend' of that person and tried to access their profile would just get a blank screen that just said "This profile is set to private. You are not authorized to view this page," or something to that effect. I was just wondering if Search Engine crawler bots get this same sort of page when they try to access private profiles, or if somehow they are able to get past these blocks and thus crawl & index social media pages that are supposedly private. I have been searching all over the net trying to find an answer to this question but haven't been able to find anything.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Probably not but I bet there are products that will do that for a price. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users