Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Fluctuations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Candro

Candro

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:44 AM

So, this is an issue that's been plaguing me for some time now. Occasionally, the (wireless) internet connection on all of my devices will begin to fluctuate. Basically, it will slow down to a crawl for a few seconds, sometimes losing connection entirely, then pop back up to normal speed for a few seconds, and repeat. It occurs in episodes randomly throughout the day, and when it occurs all of my online applications are effected (people on skype become robots, constant rubberbanding in some games, losing connection to games due to short disconnect, etc).

Restarting the router & modum setup will relieve the symptoms for only a few minutes before it begins to fluctuate again, but after a while it will return to normal speed, at least until it decides to go crazy again. I've also replaced the router two times, and each time it's only been a temporary fix (fluctuations begin again only after a week or two). At this point i'm not sure if it's my ISP (Time Warner Cable) or if somebody or something is tampering with it. Any Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

Have you tried connecting at least one computer using Ethernet to see if the problem occurs then?

How far are the computers from the wireless modem? It could be something interfering with the signal. Check for possible sources of electromagnetic interference, like cordless phones are anything with a radio transmitter -- even microwave ovens can cause issues

#3 Candro

Candro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

The computer that's hooked up to the Ethernet doesn't usually turn up with many issues, but I have a hard time testing it since it's not my computer, and these episodes will occur randomly throughout the day. I doubt it's interferance from something in our house, since hardly anything electronic besides our computers and cellphones are active throughout the day. These fluctuations will occur no matter what the distance from the router is as well (I tried it with a laptop sitting right next to the thing).

When I can get a better trial with the Ethernet I will, but that's basically where I'm at right now.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Try connecting with an Ethernet cable, connecting as many different PCs/laptops as you can.

When you replaced the router, did you use the same make and model, or different routers?

#5 Candro

Candro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

FINALLY managed to track it on an Ethernet hook up (sorry that took so long). I ran it at the same time as my wireless networking, and it looks like it's experiencing the same issue. For the record, I was tracking the ping via CMD using the Ping -t command, setting them up to connect to different servers (Google, Yahoo, etc), and I came up with very similar results occuring at the same time. So this isn't an issue with the wireless connections after all...

And no, we did not use the same make and model. With each replacement came a different router, and now it looks like it's a futile thing to continue. So the issue is probably either coming from the modem or our ISP (which is Time Warner Cable. Really don't like them.)

I mean look at this:

Pingwtf_zps02bf2bce.png

#6 Candro

Candro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

(uh, whoops. Double-post. I thought the first one got lost as it was sending)

Finally managed to test it with the Ethernet connection, and I ran it alongside my laptop to make note in any differences. Both the ethernet and the wireless experienced the dramatic fluctuations at the same time, so it looks like this isn't an issue with the wireless connection. Whatever is causing this is likely related to the modem or our ISP (Time Warner Cable). We've replaced the router with a different make and model each time, so at this point that does not look like a viable option (money wasted.... blah).

Right now I'm considering contacting Time Warner to try and find out what the hell is going on, and why this occurs randomly throughout the day and especially during late night hours. I know they're behind the sudden internet-drops when I lose the internet entirely, but this is completely different.

To give you an idea of what's going on, here's a segment of my tracking:

Pingwtf_zps02bf2bce.png

Edited by Candro, 17 November 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:55 AM

The fact that it occurs on WiFi and Ethernet, and using multiple router makes and models, does pretty much narrow it down to either the cable modem or the ISP.

Are you in an apartment building or are there multiple cable customers where you live? One little known fact is in situations like that, total bandwidth is shared among the various customers in that buildling. So if several people is doing something that is bandwidth-intensive, like torrenting or downloading movies or other large files, and do it at about the same time, like late at night, everyone will see a drop in network speeds as everything slows to a crawl.

Given the above, calling your ISP is your best move right now.

#8 Candro

Candro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Well I'm in a quiet neighborhood with my own house. I'm not really sure if the neighbors also use cable or not, but given how sporadic the spikes are I don't think bandwidth hogging is the issue here (typically in my experience, they slow it down but it's a more consistent drop, rather than the wackiness this has been doing). I think I'll go on ahead and try speaking with my ISP to try figuring out what's going on, but in all seriousness, Time Warner Cable has really bad customer service. I might not be able to get anywhere at all but I might as well give it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users